Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 13:33:46 -0500

174 
ATHW40 PHFO 291833
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC FRI OCT 29 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC OCTOBER 29 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL LOW NEAR 20N169W...OR ABOUT 
700 MILES WEST OF HONOLULU. THIS LOW IS MOVING TO THE WEST AT 10 TO 
15 MPH. ANOTHER SHORTWAVE IS LOCATED NEAR 24N179E...MOVING TO THE 
SOUTHWEST AT 20 MPH. AN AREA OF CONVECTION IS LOCATED ON THE SOUTH 
SIDE OF THE LOW...GENERALLY FROM 18N TO 20N BETWEEN 166W AND 171W. 
CLOUD TOPS WITH THE CONVECTION IN THIS AREA EXTEND UP TO 32000 FT. 

AN AREA OF CIRRUS AND CIRROCUMULUS CLOUDS IS LOCATED GENERALLY SOUTH 
OF 15N WEST OF 155W...AND ARE ASSOCIATED WITH CONVECTION IN THE 
INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE. HOWEVER...A NARROW BAND OF HIGH 
CLOUDS EXTENDS FARTHER NORTHEAST. THIS BAND IS 100 MILES WIDE...AND 
THE NORTHERN EDGE EXTENDS FROM 16N161W TO 19N150W...PASSING JUST 
SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND. THESE CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE EAST 
NORTHEAST AT 50 MPH. 

AT LOWER LEVELS...A REMNANT CLOUD BAND FROM A DISSIPATED FRONT IS 
EMBEDDED IN THE TRADE WIND FLOW. THE NORTHERN EDGE OF THE CLOUD BAND 
EXTENDS FROM 24N140W TO 23N160W TO 24N174W. THESE CLOUDS COVER 
PORTIONS OF KAUAI AND OAHU...AND ARE LOCATED JUST OFFSHORE TO THE 
NORTH AND NORTHEAST OF MOLOKAI AND MAUI. THIS BAND IS COMPOSED 
PRIMARILY OF SHOWERY CUMULUS CLOUDS. HOWEVER...WEST OF 165W...OR 
NEAR THE UPPER LOW MENTIONED ABOVE...THE BAND IS COMPOSED OF 
TOWERING CUMULUS AND CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS. CLOUD TOPS IN THIS AREA 
EXTEND UP TO 37000 FT. CLOUDS WITHIN THE BAND ARE MOVING TO THE WEST 
SOUTHWEST AT 20 TO 25 MPH. NORTH OF THE BAND...CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO 
THE SOUTH SOUTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 MPH. 

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS 
COVER THE INTERIOR AND EASTERN SECTIONS OF KAUAI. BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
LOW CLOUDS COVER WINDWARD AND CENTRAL SECTIONS OF OAHU...WITH 
SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ACROSS LEEWARD AREAS.  BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS COVER EASTERN MOLOKAI...AND NORTHERN SECTIONS OF LANAI. 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ALSO COVER THE INTERIOR SECTIONS OF THE WEST MAUI 
MOUNTAINS...AND WINDWARD SLOPES OF HALEAKALA FROM HANA TO KIPAHULU. 

ON THE BIG ISLAND...SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE 
WINDWARD SLOPES OF THE KOHALA RANGE. SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS 
ARE ALSO LOCATED OVER THE KONA COAST FROM KEAHOLE TO CAPTAIN COOK. 
BROKEN CLOUDS COVER THE MIDDLE SLOPES OF NORTH AND SOUTH HILO 
DISTRICTS BETWEEN 4000 FT AND 8000 FT. SCATTERED TO BROKEN CIRRUS 
ELEMENTS ARE LOCATED OVER SOUTHERN KAU AND PUNA DISTRICTS. THESE 
HIGH CLOUDS ARE PART OF THE LARGER BAND OF HIGH CLOUDS DESCRIBED 
ABOVE. 

$$

BRAVENDER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.