Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 19:25:30 -0500

261 
ATHW40 PHFO 300025
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC SAT OCT 30 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC OCTOBER 30 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL LOW NEAR 20N170W...OR ABOUT 
800 MILES WEST OF HONOLULU. THIS LOW IS MOVING TO THE WEST AT 10 
MPH. AN AREA OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN CUMULUS AND TOWERING CUMULUS 
CLOUDS...WITH EMBEDDED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS...IS LOCATED ON THE SOUTH 
SIDE OF THE LOW...GENERALLY FROM 17N TO 20N BETWEEN 169W AND 176W. 
THESE CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE WEST AT 30 MPH. CLOUD TOPS WITH THE 
CONVECTION IN THIS AREA EXTEND UP TO 30000 FT. 

AN AREA OF CIRRUS AND CIRROCUMULUS CLOUDS IS LOCATED GENERALLY SOUTH 
OF 16N WEST OF 158W...AND ARE ASSOCIATED WITH CONVECTION IN THE 
INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE. IN ADDITION...A NARROW BAND OF HIGH 
CLOUDS EXTENDS FARTHER NORTHEAST...PASSING JUST SOUTH OF THE BIG 
ISLAND. THIS BAND IS 100 MILES WIDE...AND THE NORTHERN EDGE EXTENDS 
FROM 17N160W TO 19N152W TO 18N148W. THESE CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE 
EAST NORTHEAST AT 50 MPH. 

AT LOWER LEVELS...A REMNANT CLOUD BAND FROM A DISSIPATED FRONT IS 
EMBEDDED IN THE TRADE WIND FLOW. THE BAND IS AROUND 100 MILES 
WIDE...AND THE NORTHERN EDGE EXTENDS FROM 23N140W TO 22N155W TO 
23N171W. THESE CLOUDS COVER PORTIONS OF THE SMALLER ISLANDS AND 
ADJACENT WATERS FROM KAUAI TO MAUI. THE BAND IS COMPOSED PRIMARILY 
OF SHOWERY CUMULUS CLOUDS. HOWEVER...WEST OF 165W...OR NEAR THE 
UPPER LOW MENTIONED ABOVE...THE BAND IS COMPOSED OF TOWERING CUMULUS 
AND CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS. CLOUD TOPS IN THIS AREA EXTEND UP TO 33000 
FT. CLOUDS WITHIN THE BAND ARE MOVING TO THE WEST SOUTHWEST AT 20 TO 
25 MPH. NORTH OF THE BAND...CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE SOUTH SOUTHWEST 
AT 15 TO 20 MPH. 

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS 
COVER ALL OF KAUAI AND NIIHAU. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS ALSO 
COVER OAHU...BUT WAVE CLOUDS CAN ALSO BE SEEN EXTENDING DOWNSTREAM 
OF THE KOOLAU RANGE EMBEDDED WITHIN THE LARGER CLOUD DECK. BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS ALSO COVER MOST OF 
MAUI COUNTY...INCLUDING UP TO 
THE SUMMIT OF HALEAKALA. 

ON THE BIG ISLAND...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER THE WINDWARD 
SLOPES OF THE KOHALA RANGE...AND EXTEND ALONG THE HAMAKUA COAST 
BELOW 4000 FT. SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER MUCH OF NORTH 
AND SOUTH HILO AND PUNA DISTRICTS...WITH THE THICKEST CLOUDS FOCUSED 
ACROSS THE MIDDLE SLOPES OF MAUNA KEA BETWEEN 6000 FT AND 10000 FT. 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUDS COVER MOST OF KAU DISTRICT BELOW 10000 
FT...AS WELL AS NORTH AND SOUTH KONA DISTRICTS BELOW 10000 FT. THESE 
CLOUDS ALSO COVER PORTIONS OF UPPER HAMAKUA DISTRICT...WHERE CLOUDS 
EXTEND UP TO 12000 FT ACROSS LEEWARD SLOPES OF MAUNA KEA. 

$$

BRAVENDER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.