Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 13:31:57 -0500

001 
ATHW40 PHFO 301831
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC SAT OCT 30 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC OCTOBER 30 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL LOW NEAR 21N171W...MOVING 
TO THE WEST AT 10 MPH. THIS LOW IS ABOUT 800 MILES WEST OF 
HONOLULU...OR 650 MILES SOUTHEAST OF MIDWAY ATOLL. AN AREA OF 
CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS IS LOCATED SOUTH AND WEST OF THE UPPER LOW... 
GENERALLY BETWEEN 18N AND 20N W OF 172W. INDIVIDUAL CONVECTIVE CELLS 
ARE SHORT LIVED...BUT THEY ARE MOVING TO THE WEST AT 15 MPH. MOST 
CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP TO 35000 FT...ALTHOUGH TOPS ASSOCIATED WITH 
THE STRONGEST UPDRAFTS EXTEND UP TO 44000 FT. ISOLATED TOWERING 
CUMULUS CLOUDS ARE ALSO LOCATED NEAR THE UPPER LOW ALONG A 
DISSIPATING REMNANT FRONTAL CLOUD BAND. THESE CLOUDS EXTEND UP TO 
25000 FT...AND ARE LOCATED ROUGHLY ALONG A LINE FROM 21N165W TO 
22N180. 

SOUTH OF THE UPPER LOW...AN AREA OF LAYERED UPPER LEVEL CLOUDS IS 
ASSOCIATED WITH CONVECTION IN THE INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE. 
THESE CLOUDS ARE LOCATED GENERALLY SOUTH OF 17N AND WEST OF 160W. 
DISTINCT CLOUD MOTIONS CAN BE SEEN AT TWO DIFFERENT LEVELS. THE 
HIGHER LEVEL CIRRUS CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE EAST AT 70 MPH. BELOW 
THESE CLOUDS...A THICKER LAYER OF CIRROSTRATUS AND CIRROCUMULUS 
CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE NORTH AND NORTHWEST AT 20 MPH. 

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS 
COVER THE INTERIOR AND WINDWARD SECTIONS OF KAUAI. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS 
COVER THE KOOLAU RANGE ON OAHU...WITH SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS ACROSS 
THE WAIANAE RANGE. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER EASTERN 
MOLOKAI...WITH BROKEN MID-LEVEL CLOUDS ACROSS WESTERN MOLOKAI AND 
THE KAIWI CHANNEL BETWEEN OAHU AND MOLOKAI. SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS ARE LOCATED OVER MAUKA LANAI. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS 
COVER THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS...AND LOWER SLOPES OF HALEAKALA FROM 
HAIKU TO HANA TO KAUPO BELOW 6000 FT. THESE CLOUDS ALSO EXTEND 15 
MILES OFFSHORE TO THE NORTH AND NORTHEAST OF MAUI. 

ON THE BIG ISLAND...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER THE SLOPES 
OF THE KOHALA RANGE...AND ALSO EXTEND ACROSS HAMAKUA DISTRICT BELOW 
5000 FT. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS ALSO COVER COASTAL SECTIONS 
OF NORTH HILO DISTRICT BELOW 5000 FT...AS WELL AS MUCH OF SOUTH HILO 
AND PUNA DISTRICTS...BUT ALSO EXTEND UP TO 9000 FT THROUGH THE 
SADDLE. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER PORTIONS OF KAU 
DISTRICT BELOW 7000 FT. SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE ALSO 
LOCATED OVER THE KONA COAST FROM KEAHOLE POINT TO CAPTAIN COOK. 

BEYOND THE STATE...LOW CLOUDS ARE EMBEDDED IN THE TRADE WIND FLOW 
SOUTH OF A SURFACE RIDGE NEAR 30N. A REMNANT FRONTAL CLOUD BAND IS 
LOCATED GENERALLY EAST TO WEST ALONG 26N. THIS BAND IS ABOUT 75 
MILES WIDE...AND IS SLOWLY MOVING TO THE SOUTH. SOUTH OF THIS 
BAND...CLOUDS ARE COMPOSED PRIMARILY OF SHOWERY OPEN CELL CUMULUS 
ELEMENTS. THESE CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE WEST SOUTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 
MPH. 

$$

BRAVENDER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.