Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 00:00:14 -0500

315 
ATHW40 PHFO 310500
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0500 UTC SUN OCT 31 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0430 UTC OCTOBER 31 2010

LOW CEILINGS...SOME WITH ACCOMPANYING SHOWERS...ARE MAINLY AFFECTING 
WINDWARD AND MAUKA SECTIONS ON THE INDIVIDUAL ISLES THIS EARLY 
EVENING.  THIS IS ESPECIALLY THE CASE ON THE BIG ISLAND...WHERE RAIN 
HAS BEEN PERSISTENT FOR A FEW HOURS IN THE HILO AND PUNA DISTRICTS.
BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS ARE ALSO PREVALENT ON THE WEST-FACING 
SLOPES OF HALEAKALA IN EAST MAUI...AND OVER THE MOUNTAIN SLOPES IN 
KAU...KONA...AND SOUTH KOHALA ON THE BIG ISLAND.  LOW CLOUDS ARE 
MOVING FROM THE EAST TO EAST-NORTHEAST BETWEEN 15 AND 20 MPH ACROSS 
THE ALOHA STATE.

IN THE ADJACENT COASTAL WATERS...LOW CLOUDINESS IS PREDOMINANTLY 
SCATTERED...THOUGH PATCHES OF BROKEN SHOWERY LOW CLOUDS ARE 
CURRENTLY NORTH OF KAUAI AND OAHU...NORTHEAST OF MAUI COUNTY...AND 
IMMEDIATELY NORTH CLOCKWISE THROUGH EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND.  OUTSIDE 
OF THE COASTAL WATERS SOUTHWEST OF THE STATE IS A LARGE AREA OF 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDINESS...FROM 18N TO 20N BETWEEN 158W AND 
163W.

IN THE UPPER AIR ABOVE 25 THOUSAND FEET...AN EAST-NORTHEAST-TO-WEST- 
SOUTHWEST ORIENTED TROUGH REMAINS IN PLACE WEST OF THE ISLANDS.  ITS 
AXIS IS ALONG A LINE FROM 26N162W TO 22N170W TO 20N175E.  THE SYSTEM 
IS INDUCING ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS IN THE AREA FROM 17.5N TO 20N 
BETWEEN 174E AND 179W.  A JET STREAM IS FLOWING SOUTH OF THE TROUGH 
AXIS AND IS ALONG A LINE FROM 17N175E TO 17N175W TO 22N165W.  THE 
DYNAMICS ASSOCIATED WITH THE JET ARE GENERATING A LARGE SWATH OF 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST HIGH CLOUDS...WITH SOME ELEMENTS APPROACHING THE 
ALOHA STATE FROM THE WEST AND SOUTHWEST.

SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ARE FIRING ALONG THE INTERTROPICAL 
CONVERGENCE ZONE FAR SOUTH OF HAWAII.  MOST OF THIS UNORGANIZED 
CONVECTION IS LOCATED FROM 06N TO 10N WEST OF 154W.  A MUCH SMALLER 
AREA OF ACTIVITY IS FOUND FROM 08N TO 10N BETWEEN 139W AND 146W.

$$

KINEL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.