Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 13:24:39 -0500

750 
ATHW40 PHFO 311824
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC SUN OCT 31 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC OCTOBER 31 2010

AN AREA OF SHOWERY LOW CLOUDS IS OVER WINDWARD WATERS EAST OF THE 
BIG ISLAND AND MAUI...MOVING WESTWARD TOWARD THE ISLANDS IN A LIGHT 
TO MODERATE TRADE WIND FLOW. IMMEDIATELY UPSTREAM OF THE OTHER 
ISLANDS HOWEVER...INCLUDING THE NEAR SHORE WINDWARD WATERS EAST OF 
MAUI...HAVE FEW LOW CLOUDS...WITH ISOLATED PATCHES OF SCATTERED LOW 
CLOUDS. 

WINDWARD PORTIONS OF THE ISLAND OF KAUAI HAVE SCATTERED TO BROKEN 
STABLE CUMULUS /CU/ BANKED ALONG THE SLOPES OF MOUNT WAIALEALE...
WHILE LEEWARD PORTIONS OF THE ISLAND...AND ALL OF NIIHAU...ARE UNDER 
SUNNY SKIES THIS MORNING. A NARROW RIBBON OF SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS 
LINES THE SUMMIT OF THE KOOLAU RANGE ON OAHU THIS MORNING... 
OTHERWISE SKIES ARE SUNNY OVER THE REMAINDER OF OAHU...AND NEAR 
SHORE WATERS. SCATTERED TO LOCALLY BROKEN PATCHES OF CU ARE SEEN 
ALONG THE LOWER WINDWARD SLOPES OF EASTERN MOLOKAI...AND OVER THE 
SLOPES OF MAUI...BUT SUNNY SKIES PREVAIL OVER THE BULK OF MAUI 
COUNTY. WINDWARD BIG ISLAND...IN CONTRAST...IS MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 
MIX OF SHOWERY CU AND STABLE STRATOCUMULUS /SC/...WITH THE BIG 
ISLAND ON THE EASTERN EDGE OF AN AREA OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS THAT 
EXTENDS UP TO 300 MILES TO THE EAST. THE LEEWARD SIDE OF THE BIG 
ISLAND...AND INTERIOR PORTIONS OF THE ISLAND...ARE UNDER SUNNY 
SKIES. LOW CLOUDS NEAR THE ISLANDS ARE MOVING TOWARD THE WEST AT 
SPEEDS NEAR 15 MPH...WITH THE LEADING EDGE OF THE CLUMP OF SHOWERY 
LOW CLOUDS ABOUT 100 MILES EAST OF WINDWARD HALEAKALA. 

AN AREA OF BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS IS WEST OF THE ISLANDS THIS MORNING... 
WITH THESE HIGH CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH A NARROW NE TO SW ORIENTED 
LOW ALOFT THAT IS CENTERED ABOUT 800 MILES WEST OF KAUAI...NEAR 23N 
172W. HIGH CLOUDS ARE FORMING WITHIN THE DIFFLUENT FLOW ALOFT ON 
THE SOUTHEAST PORTION OF THE LOW...BUT ARE DISSIPATING BEFORE MOVING 
OVER THE ISLANDS...WHERE A RIDGE ALOFT IS IN PLACE. 

ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS LACK SIGNIFICANT ORGANIZATION WITHIN THE NEAR 
EQUATORIAL TRADE WIND CONVERGENCE ZONE SOUTH OF THE ISLANDS...AND 
ARE MOST CONCENTRATED FROM 6N TO 10N BETWEEN 145W AND 174W. 

$$

BIRCHARD

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.