Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 19:25:13 -0500

910 
ATHW40 PHFO 010025
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC MON NOV 1 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC NOVEMBER 1 2010

LOW CLOUD COVERAGE HAS INCREASED OVER THE LEEWARD AREAS OF MOST 
ISLANDS SINCE THIS MORNING...WITH THE GREATEST INCREASE OVER LEEWARD 
BIG ISLAND. MEANWHILE...LITTLE SIGNIFICANT CHANGE IN WINDWARD LOW 
CLOUD COVERAGE HAS OCCURRED SINCE THIS MORNING.

LIGHT TO MODERATE TRADE WINDS CONTINUE TO PUSH SCATTERED TO BROKEN 
SHOWERY CUMULUS /CU/ ELEMENTS TOWARD THE WEST OVER WATERS EAST OF 
THE BIG ISLAND...WHILE FEW TO SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS ARE OVER NEAR 
SHORE WINDWARD WATERS EAST OF THE OTHER ISLANDS. AS IS TYPICAL IN 
TRADE WIND FLOW...DAYTIME HEATING AND SEA BREEZES HAVE LED TO THE 
FORMATION OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS OVER THE LEEWARD SLOPES 
OF THE BIG ISLAND. WITH BROKEN LOW CLOUDS...PRIMARILY STABLE 
STRATOCUMULUS /SC/...OVER THE WINDWARD AND KAU SLOPES...MOST OF THE 
BIG ISLAND...SAVE THE NEARLY CLEAR SUMMITS...IS UNDER MOSTLY CLOUDY 
SKIES. BROKEN SC AND CU LINE THE LOWER SLOPES OF HALEAKALA ON 
MAUI...WITH BROKEN LOW CLOUDS SPREADING FROM HALEAKALA...AND OVER 
LEEWARD WATERS BETWEEN MAUI AND KAHOOLAWE. SCATTERED TO BROKEN CU 
ARE OVER THE LOWER WINDWARD SLOPES OF THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS...BUT 
THE CENTRAL VALLEY AND LEEWARD WEST MAUI ARE UNDER MOSTLY SUNNY 
SKIES. SCATTERED CU DOT INTERIOR PORTIONS OF LANAI...AND THE 
NORTHEAST AND SOUTHWEST PORTIONS OF MOLOKAI...BUT THE REMAINDER OF 
MAUI COUNTY IS MOSTLY SUNNY. ON OAHU...LOW CLOUD COVER OVER THE 
SUMMITS OF THE KOOLAU RANGE HAS CHANGED LITTLE SINCE THIS 
MORNING...WITH A NARROW RIBBON OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN CU PERSISTING. 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE NOW OVER THE WAIANAE RANGE...AND ARE CURRENTLY 
MAKING FOR PARTLY TO MOSTLY CLOUDY CONDITIONS OVER KAPOLEI AND 
BARBERS POINT. THE REMAINDER OF OAHU IS UNDER MOSTLY SUNNY SKIES. 
COASTAL AREAS ON KAUAI ARE MOSTLY SUNNY...WITH FEW TO SCATTERED CU 
AND SC OVER THE INTERIOR OF THE ISLAND. WISPY HIGH CLOUDS HAVE BEEN 
ON THE INCREASE OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF HOURS...AND ARE LIKELY 
GIVING SKIES OVER KAUAI A BIT OF A MILKY TEXTURE. 

WHILE AN AREA OF SHOWERY CU HAS PREVAILED OVER WATERS EAST OF THE 
BIG ISLAND SINCE THIS MORNING...AND A FEW OF THOSE SHOWERS DID MOVE 
ASHORE OVER WINDWARD BIG ISLAND...THE BULK OF THE MOISTURE HAS 
REMAINED OFFSHORE OVER THE COURSE OF THE PAST 6 HOURS. THIS AREA OF 
SHOWERY OPEN-CELLED CU EXTENDS ABOUT 200 MILES EAST OF THE BIG 
ISLAND...AND ABOUT 225 MILES EAST FROM WINDWARD EAST MAUI. LOW CLOUD 
MOTION CONTINUES TO BE TOWARD THE WEST...AT SPEEDS NEAR 15 MPH. 

THE HIGH CLOUDS NEAR KAUAI...AND TO A LESSER EXTENT...OAHU...ARE 
DEVELOPING IN ASSOCIATION WITH A NEARLY STATIONARY COMPACT LOW ALOFT 
THAT IS CENTERED ABOUT 850 MILES WEST OF KAUAI...NEAR 23N 173W. 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST HIGH CLOUDS ARE FORMING WITHIN THE DIFFLUENT FLOW 
ALOFT ON THE SOUTHEAST FLANK OF THE LOW...BUT MOST OF THE CIRRUS ARE 
DISSIPATING BEFORE MOVING OVER THE ISLANDS...WHERE A NORTH-SOUTH 
ORIENTED RIDGE ALOFT IS IN PLACE ALONG 160W. 

ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS LACK SIGNIFICANT ORGANIZATION WITHIN THE NEAR 
EQUATORIAL TRADE WIND CONVERGENCE ZONE SOUTH AND SOUTHWEST OF THE 
ISLANDS...AND ARE MOST CONCENTRATED FROM 6N TO 11N BETWEEN 150W AND 
173W. 

$$

BIRCHARD

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.