Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 00:41:21 -0500

186 
ATHW40 PHFO 020541
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC TUE NOV 02 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC NOVEMBER 02 2010

REGIONAL SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWS A 150 TO 200 MILE WIDE...NORTHEAST 
TO SOUTHWEST ORIENTED...DIFFUSE BAND OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW AND 
MIDDLE CLOUDS TO THE NORTHWEST OF THE ISLANDS. THE BAND HAS BEEN 
MOVING TOWARD THE SOUTHEAST NEAR 10 MPH OVER THE PAST 6 HOURS. 
BETWEEN THE ISLANDS AND THIS FRONTAL BOUNDARY...INFRARED IMAGERY 
HIGHLIGHTS AN AREA OF BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS WITH A SIMILAR ORIENTATION 
AS THE FRONTAL CLOUD BAND. NEAR THE ISLANDS...RANDOMLY DISTRIBUTED 
PATCHES OF SHOWERY LOW CLOUDS ARE SEEN MOVING TOWARD THE WEST WITHIN 
A DIMINISHED TRADE WIND FLOW. 

MORE SPECIFICALLY...IMAGERY FOCUSED ON THE ISLANDS REVEALS BROKEN 
TO OVERCAST CUMULUS /CU/ AND STRATOCUMULUS /SC/ OVER KAUAI OAHU AND 
MOLOKAI AND ADJACENT WATERS. THESE CLOUDS HAVE INCREASED IN COVERAGE 
IN THE PAST COUPLE OF HOURS...APPARENTLY IN RESPONSE TO A SOUTHWARD 
MOVING GRAVITY WAVE. MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND HAVE FEWER LOW 
CLOUDS...WHERE SCATTERED SC AND CU PREVAIL OVER THE ADJACENT WATERS. 
THE LOWER SLOPES OF THE BIG ISLAND...HOWEVER...REMAIN BLANKETED IN 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST SC AND CU...WHILE SIMILAR LOW CLOUD CONDITIONS 
ARE OBSERVED OVER THE LOWER SLOPES OF HALEAKALA. LOW CLOUD MOTION 
NEAR THE ISLANDS IS TOWARD THE WEST AT SPEEDS NEAR 10 MPH.

WHILE WATER VAPOR IMAGERY REVEALS A PAIR OF LOWS ALOFT IN THE 
CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC...BOTH OF WHICH ARE CUT OFF FROM THE MAIN 
WESTERLIES LOCATED FARTHER TO THE NORTH. ONE LOW IS NEARLY 
STATIONARY ABOUT 1050 MILES EAST OF THE ISLANDS...CENTERED NEAR 21N 
141W. ANOTHER COMPACT LOW IS CENTERED ABOUT 950 MILES WEST-SOUTHWEST 
OF KAUAI...NEAR 20N 174W...AND IS MOVING TOWARD THE SOUTH-SOUTHWEST 
NEAR 10 MPH. A LARGE LOW ALOFT IS CENTERED FAR NORTH OF THE ISLANDS 
NEAR ALASKA/S ALEUTIAN ISLANDS...AND A BROAD TROUGH EXTENDS 
SOUTHWARD FROM THE LOW TO A LOCATION ABOUT 425 MILES NORTHWEST OF 
KAUAI. THE HIGH CLOUDS TO THE NORTH OF THE ISLANDS ARE DEVELOPING IN 
RESPONSE TO DIFFLUENCE BETWEEN THE TROUGH ALOFT TO THE NORTH AND THE 
CUT OFF LOW TO THE WEST OF THE ISLANDS. 

$$

BIRCHARD

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.