Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 07:27:19 -0500

322 
ATHW40 PHFO 021227
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC TUE NOV 2 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC NOVEMBER 2 2010

REGIONAL SATELLITE IMAGERY CONTINUES TO SHOW A 200 TO 250 MILE 
WIDE...NORTHEAST TO SOUTHWEST ORIENTED...DIFFUSE BAND OF BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST LOW AND MIDDLE CLOUDS TO THE NORTHWEST OF THE ISLANDS. THE 
BAND/S MOVEMENT HAS REMAINED RELATIVELY A STEADY 10 MPH TOWARD THE 
SOUTHEAST SINCE MONDAY EVENING...WITH THE LEADING EDGE OF THIS BAND 
NOW ABOUT 275 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. BETWEEN THE ISLANDS AND THIS 
RELATIVELY SHALLOW FRONTAL BOUNDARY...THERE IS AN AREA OF BROKEN 
HIGH CLOUDS...WITH AN ORIENTATION SIMILAR TO THAT OF THE FRONTAL 
CLOUD BAND. NEAR THE ISLANDS...RANDOMLY DISTRIBUTED PATCHES OF 
SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS ARE SEEN MOVING TOWARD THE WEST WITHIN A 
DIMINISHED TRADE WIND FLOW. 

IMAGERY CENTERED ON THE ISLANDS REVEALS THAT THE BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
CUMULUS /CU/ AND STRATOCUMULUS /SC/ THAT WERE OVER KAUAI OAHU AND 
MOLOKAI...AND ADJACENT WATERS...ON MONDAY EVENING HAVE DECREASED 
RATHER DRAMATICALLY...APPARENTLY IN RESPONSE TO THE PASSAGE OF 
SOUTHWARD MOVING GRAVITY WAVES. HIGH CLOUDS HAVE INCREASED OVER THE 
AREA DURING THE SAME TIME PERIOD...BUT REMAIN RATHER THIN OVER THE 
ISLANDS AND ADJACENT LEEWARD WATERS...AND ARE A LITTLE THICKER OVER 
THE WINDWARD WATERS. AS BEST AS CAN BE DETERMINED THROUGH INFRARED 
IMAGERY...ONLY SCATTERED CU EXIST OVER WATERS AROUND THE ISLANDS... 
WITH FEW TO SCATTERED TO CU OVER THE ISLANDS...THICKEST OVER THE 
LOWER WINDWARD SLOPES. LOW CLOUD MOTION NEAR THE ISLANDS REMAINS 
TOWARD THE WEST AT SPEEDS JUST BELOW 10 MPH...AND RADAR IS 
DETECTING ONLY SMALL ISOLATED SHOWERS OVER NEAR SHORE WATERS...WITH 
DRY CONDITIONS OVER THE ISLANDS AT THIS TIME.    

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY REVEALS A PAIR OF LOWS ALOFT IN THE TROPICAL 
CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC...BOTH OF WHICH ARE CUT OFF FROM THE MAIN BELT 
OF WESTERLIES ALOFT. ONE OF THE LOWS IS NEARLY STATIONARY ABOUT 1050 
MILES EAST OF MAUI COUNTY...CENTERED NEAR 21N 141W. ANOTHER SMALLER 
LOW IS CENTERED ABOUT 950 MILES WEST-SOUTHWEST OF KAUAI...NEAR 20N 
174W...AND HS BEEN NEARLY STATIONARY OVER THE PAST 6 HOURS. A LARGE 
LOW ALOFT...CENTERED FAR NORTH OF THE ISLANDS NEAR ALASKA/S ALEUTIAN 
ISLANDS...HAS A TROUGH THAT EXTENDS SOUTH-SOUTHEASTWARD TOWARD THE 
ISLANDS...AND IS LOCATED ALONG A LINE THROUGH 30N 155W TO 25N 160W 
TO 25N 170W. THIS TROUGH HAS BEEN MOVING TOWARD THE SOUTHEAST NEAR 
35 MPH OVER THE PAST 6 HOURS. THE INCREASE IN HIGH CLOUDS NEAR THE 
ISLANDS APPEARS TO BE RELATED TO THE APPROACH OF THIS RELATIVELY 
FAST-MOVING TROUGH ALOFT...WITH SOME OF THE HIGH CLOUDS SPREADING 
EASTWARD FROM CUT OFF LOW LOCATED WELL WEST OF THE ISLANDS. 
 
$$

BIRCHARD

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.