Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 13:20:09 -0500

559 
ATHW40 PHFO 021820
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC TUE NOV 02 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC NOVEMBER 02 2010

A SOMEWHAT DIFFUSE FRONTAL CLOUD BAND WAS LINGERING 225 MILES NORTH 
OF KAUAI THIS MORNING.  THE SOUTHERN EDGE OF THIS 180 MILES WIDE 
BAND STRETCHED SOUTHWEST THROUGH NEAR 30N 150W TO 25N 160W TO 24N 
170W. THE CLOUD BAND EXTENDED WEST BEYOND 170W IN AN EVEN MORE 
DIFFUSE STATE...SPREADING OUT TO OVER 400 MILES IN WIDTH AS IT 
REACHED THE DATELINE.  

THE CLOUD BAND WAS FAIRLY BENIGN...CONSISTING OF MOSTLY BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST LOW AND MID LEVEL CLOUDS.  HOWEVER...THE CLOUD BAND WAS 
MORE ACTIVE AND INTENSE NORTH OF 30N LATITUDE.  ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS WERE NOTED ALONG THE CLOUD BAND BETWEEN 32N 148W AND 
38N 143W.  THAT PART OF THE BAND JUST NORTH OF KAUAI WAS MOVING 
SOUTHEAST AT JUST OVER 5 MILES AN HOUR.  

NEAR THE ISLANDS...RANDOMLY DISTRIBUTED PATCHES OF SCATTERED LOW 
CLOUDS WERE COMMON IN MOST AREAS.  BUT A LARGE CLUSTER OF BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS WAS NOTED JUST WEST AND SOUTHWEST OF SOUTH POINT ON THE BIG 
ISLAND.  AND A CLUSTER OF BROKEN TO SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS WAS 
CONTINUALLY FORMING...DISSIPATING AND REFORMING IN THE AREA JUST 
WEST THROUGH WEST-NORTHWEST OF KAUAI.  THE LOW CLOUDS NEAR THE 
ISLANDS WERE MOSTLY DRIFTING SLOWLY SOUTH OR SOUTHWESTWARD.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWED THE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH ASSOCIATED WITH 
THE FRONT EXTENDING FROM 35N 152W TO NEAR 25N 156W.  THE TROUGH WAS 
MOVING EAST NEAR 25 MILES AN HOUR.  AN UPPER LEVEL LOW NEAR 20N 175W 
WAS MOVING WEST AT JUST UNDER 10 MILES AN HOUR.  ANOTHER UPPER LOW 
NEAR 22N 140W WAS DRIFTING SLOWLY NORTHEASTWARD. 

THE UPPER LOW WEST OF THE STATE WAS GENERATING A LARGE AMOUNT OF 
CIRRUS CLOUDS GENERALLY BETWEEN 10N AND 23N FROM 160W TO 175W.  ALSO 
WIDELY SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS WERE FORMING BETWEEN 09N AND 14N FROM 
162W AND THE DATELINE.  A SMALL AMOUNT OF CIRRUS CLOUDS FROM THIS 
AREA WAS SPREADING EAST AND JUST REACHING THE ISLANDS.  A NORTHEAST 
TO SOUTHWEST ALIGNED SWATH OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN CIRRUS SAT JUST 
NORTHEAST OF MAUI.  THIS SWATH WAS BEING GENERATED BY THE UPPER 
TROUGH TO OUR NORTH. 

AT 8 AM...SKIES WERE CLEAR OVER THE VAST MAJORITY OF THE ISLANDS.  
ONLY A TINY BIT OF LOW CLOUDS WERE SEEN HERE AND THERE.  AND THE 
CIRRUS CLOUDS FLOWING HIGH ABOVE THE STATE WERE FAIRLY THIN AND NOT 
OBSCURING THE SUN MUCH AT ALL. 
 
$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.