Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 00:36:04 -0500

600 
ATHW40 PHFO 030535
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC WED NOV 3 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC NOVEMBER 3 2010

THE LEADING EDGE OF A 65 TO 135 MILE WIDE...NORTHEAST TO SOUTHWEST 
ORIENTED...BAND OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS IS ABOUT 20 MILES 
NORTHWEST OF KAUAI/S NA PALI COAST THIS EVENING. THE BAND MARKS A 
RELATIVELY SHALLOW COLD FRONT THAT IS MOVING TOWARD THE SOUTH NEAR 
15 MPH...WITH CLOUD TOPS WITHIN THE LINE ESTIMATED TO BE AS HIGH AS 
12 THOUSAND FEET. THE FRONT IS ASSOCIATED WITH A LOW PRESSURE 
SYSTEM CENTERED ABOUT 1600 MILES TO THE NORTH-NORTHEAST...WITH THE 
CLOUD BAND LOCATED ALONG A LINE THROUGH 30N 147W /WHERE THE CLOUD 
BAND IS NEARLY 200 MILES WIDE/ TO 26N 153W TO 23N 160W TO 22N 170W 
TO 22N 175W. NORTH OF THE FRONTAL CLOUD BAND...BROKEN COLD AIR 
CUMULUS /CU/ EXTEND NORTHWARD FOR MORE THAN 1500 MILES...INDICATING 
RATHER STRONG COLD AIR ADVECTION...ESPECIALLY NORTH OF ABOUT 26N. 

SOUTH OF THE FRONT AND CLOSER TO HOME...SKIES ARE MOSTLY CLEAR OVER 
MANY OF THE ISLANDS...AS A DEVELOPING NORTHERLY LOW-LEVEL FLOW HAS 
PUSHED THE LOW CLOUDS THAT FORMED OVER THE ISLANDS WITH TODAY/S 
LIGHT WINDS OFF TO THE SOUTH. HOWEVER...THE LOWER SLOPES ON THE BIG 
ISLAND...ESPECIALLY OVER THE SOUTHERN HALF OF THE ISLAND...ARE 
BLANKETED IN BROKEN TO OVERCAST STRATOCUMULUS /SC/ AND CU. 

BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE OVER THE NEAR SHORE WATERS SOUTH OF KAUAI... 
OAHU AND THE BIG ISLAND...BUT ISLANDS AWAY FROM THE BIG ISLAND HAVE 
ONLY FEW TO SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS OVER THEM. LOW CLOUDS NEAR THE 
ISLANDS ARE MOVING TOWARD THE SOUTH AT VARYING SPEEDS WITH THE 
MOTIONS DECREASING AS ONE HEADS FROM WEST TO EAST ACROSS THE ISLAND 
CHAIN. NEAR KAUAI...LOW CLOUDS AND SMALL SHOWERS ARE MOVING SOUTH 
NEAR 20 MPH...WHILE NEAR THE BIG ISLAND LOW CLOUDS ARE MOVING TOWARD 
THE SOUTH-SOUTHWEST AT SPEEDS BETWEEN 10 AND 15 MPH. 

WISPY HIGH CLOUDS MOVING OVER THE ISLANDS FROM THE WEST-NORTHWEST 
ARE IN THE PROCESS OF DIMINISHING...AS WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A 
WEAK TROUGH ALOFT PASSING SOUTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS...WITH THE FLOW 
ALOFT BECOMING INCREASINGLY NORTHERLY. HIGH CLOUDS ARE MUCH THICKER 
OVER WATERS WELL SOUTHWEST OF THE ISLANDS...WITH BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
HIGH CLOUDS BLANKETING THE AREA FROM 7N TO 24N BETWEEN 180 AND 
167W...AND FROM 14N TO 22N BETWEEN 167W AND 160W. THESE CLOUDS ARE 
ASSOCIATED DIFFLUENT FLOW ALOFT ASSOCIATED WITH A WEST MOVING LOW 
ALOFT CURRENTLY CENTERED NEAR 19N 178W...AND A RIDGE ALOFT THAT 
EXTENDS ALONG 167W NEAR 20N. 
 
$$

BIRCHARD

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.