Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 07:28:12 -0500

819 
ATHW40 PHFO 031228
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC WED NOV 3 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC NOVEMBER 3 2010

A 175 TO 200 MILE WIDE BAND OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS MARKS 
A SHALLOW COLD FRONT THAT IS CURRENTLY OVER KAUAI...AND MOVING OVER 
OAHU FROM THE NORTH. RADAR DETECTS MODERATE SHOWERS FALLING FROM THE 
CLOUD BAND...WITH SATELLITE-DERIVED CLOUD TOP TEMPERATURES EQUATING 
TO CLOUD TOPS THAT EXTEND AS HIGH AS 13 THOUSAND FEET. THE BAND 
CONTINUES TO MOVE TOWARD THE SOUTH AT 15 MPH...AND THE BAND HAS 
BECOME A LITTLE WIDER SINCE SUNDOWN ON TUESDAY. THE FRONT IS 
ASSOCIATED WITH A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM CENTERED MORE THAN 1800 MILES 
TO THE NORTH-NORTHEAST OF OAHU...WITH THE CLOUD BAND LOCATED ALONG A 
LINE THROUGH 30N 145W TO 25N 153W TO 22N 160W TO 21N 170W 
TO 23N 180...WHERE THE LOW CLOUDS WITHIN THE BAND BECOME DIFFUSE... 
AND MERGE WITH A LARGER FIELD OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST CUMULUS /CU/ AND 
STRATOCUMULUS /SC/ LOCATED NORTH OF THE FRONTAL BOUNDARY. ELSEWHERE 
TO THE NORTH OF THE FRONTAL CLOUD BAND...BROKEN TO OVERCAST CU 
EXTEND NORTHWARD FOR MORE THAN 1500 MILES...INDICATING RATHER STRONG 
POST-FRONTAL COLD AIR ADVECTION...ESPECIALLY NORTH OF 25N BETWEEN 
150W AND 170W. 

SOUTH OF THE FRONT AND CLOSER TO HOME...SKIES ARE MOSTLY CLEAR OVER 
THE ISLANDS OF MAUI AND HAWAII COUNTIES AND ADJACENT WATERS...WITH 
FEW TO LOCALLY SCATTERED CU. SKIES ARE CLOUDY OVER KAUAI AND 
ADJACENT WATERS...WITH THE ISLAND IN THE MIDST OF THE BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH THE FRONTAL CLOUD BAND...WHILE THE 
KAUAI CHANNEL AND THE NORTHWESTERN HALF OF OAHU ARE ALSO CLOUDY DUE 
TO THE RECENT ARRIVAL OF THE FRONT. THE SOUTHEASTERN HALF OF OAHU IS 
CURRENTLY UNDER MOSTLY CLEAR SKIES. THE LOW LEVEL FLOW OVER THE 
EASTERN HALF OF THE STATE IS TOWARD THE SOUTH-SOUTHWEST...WITH LOW 
CLOUDS MOVING AT SPEEDS BETWEEN 10 AND 15 MPH. 

WISPY HIGH CLOUDS ARE MOVING OVER THE ISLANDS FROM THE WEST- 
NORTHWEST...AND ARE THICKEST NEAR KAUAI AND THINNEST NEAR...AND 
SOUTH OF...THE BIG ISLAND. THESE HIGH CLOUDS ARE FORMING DUE TO THE 
PRESENCE OF A WESTWARD MOVING CLOSED LOW ALOFT CENTERED ABOUT 1400 
MILES WEST OF THE ISLANDS...NEAR 20N 180. SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS 
ARE DEVELOPING SOUTHEAST OF THE LOW/S CENTER...AND ARE LOCATED FROM 
10N TO 16N BETWEEN 170W AND 177W...WHILE HIGH CLOUDS COVER A BROADER 
AREA AS FAR NORTH AS 24N...BETWEEN THE ISLANDS AND 180.  
 
$$

BIRCHARD

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.