Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 14:07:36 -0500

372 
ATHW40 PHFO 041907
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC THU NOV 04 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC NOVEMBER 04 2010

A RAGGED REMNANT OF A FRONTAL CLOUD BAND HAS STALLED ACROSS THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS THIS MORNING. THIS NORTHEAST TO SOUTHWEST ALIGNED 
CLOUD BAND CONSISTING MAINLY OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST STRATUS CLOUDS 
IS WIDE ENOUGH TO COVER MOST OF THE AREA FROM KAUAI TO THE BIG 
ISLAND...RANGING IN WIDTH FROM 250 TO 325 MILES. THE SOUTHERN FRINGE 
OF THE BAND RUNS ALONG A LINE FROM 40N129W TO 27N138W TO 17N162W. 
THE FRONT IS ACTIVE NORTH OF 29N...MOVING EAST AT 20 MPH. SOUTH OF 
THIS LATITUDE THE CLOUD BAND IS MOVING SOUTH TO SOUTHWEST AIDED BY 
THE SUBTROPICAL HIGH BUILDING IN BEHIND THE FRONT. THIS HIGH WHICH 
IS CENTERED AT 33N161W IS DRIVING EAST TO NORTHEAST WINDS ACROSS 
MOST OF THE CENTRAL PACIFIC BASIN WITH CLOUD MOTIONS FOLLOWING SUIT.

DIRECTLY NORTH AND WEST OF THE FRONTAL BOUNDARY...BROKEN OPEN-CELLED 
STRATOCUMULUS AND CUMULUS CLOUDS COVER A FAIRLY LARGE AREA. THEY 
EXTENDING FROM THE BACK OF THE MENTIONED STRATUS CLOUD BAND TO THE 
BOUNDARY OF A SECOND SMALLER AND WEAKER FRONT THAT IS LOCATED ALONG 
A LINE FROM 34N156W TO 28N162W TO 27N171W.

AROUND THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS THIS MORNING...MOST WATERS ARE 
COVERED BY THE BROKEN TO OVERCAST STRATUS BAND ASSOCIATED WITH THE 
REMNANT FRONT. THESE CLOUDS ARE MOVING WEST-SOUTHWEST AT 20 TO 25 
MPH. OVER LAND...BROKEN TO OVERCAST CLOUD COVERAGE EXTENDS ONTO 
WINDWARD PORTIONS OF THE ISLANDS WHILE KAUAI...OAHU...MOLOKAI AND 
LANAI ARE ALSO SEEING THIS CLOUD COVERAGE ACROSS LEEWARD SIDES AS 
WELL. WEST MAUI HAS BROKEN CLOUDS ALL WINDWARD PORTIONS UP TO NEAR 8 
KFT ON HALEAKALA. LEEWARD SIDES OF MAUI HAVE A FEW CLOUDS OVER THE 
WESTERN HALF...BUT THE SUMMIT OF HALEAKALA AND LEEWARD SIDE OF THE 
ISLAND ARE MOSTLY SUNNY THIS MORNING. DOWNSLOPE AND LAND BREEZES ARE 
KEEPING BANDS OF CLOUDS OFF THE NORTHEAST AND SOUTHEAST SHORES...BUT 
SOME CLOUDS HAVE BUILT UP ALONG THE WINDWARD SIDE AND INTO THE 
SADDLE BETWEEN MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA UP TO 7 KFT IN ELEVATION. A 
FEW PATCHES OF CLOUDS ARE OBSERVED AROUND SOUTH POINT AND KEAHOLE 
POINT...BUT THE REST OF THE ISLAND IS MOSTLY SUNNY.

ELSEWHERE...WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A WEAKENING UPPER LEVEL TROUGH 
HOVERING NEAR 21N179E. IT/S CURRENTLY GENERATING SOME CLUSTERS AND 
STRANDS OF BROKEN CIRRUS CLOUDS FROM 14N TO 25N AND 168W TO 174E. 

FAR SOUTH OF THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...A LINE OF SCATTERED SHOWERS 
EXTENDS ALONG A LINE FROM 07N159W TO 12N129W. THUNDERSTORM TOPS 
REACH NEAR 47 KFT IN THIS AREA. ANOTHER CLUSTER OF THUNDERSTORMS IS 
BOUNDED BETWEEN 05N TO 10N AND 163W TO 169W WITH TOPS NEAR 50 KFT. 
WINDS GENERATED BY THE MENTIONED UPPER LEVEL LOW NEAR 21N179E ARE 
BLOWING THE THUNDERSTORM TOPS TO THE NORTH AS FAR AS 15N.
 
$$

FOSTER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.