Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 19:34:16 -0500

832 
ATHW40 PHFO 050034
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC FRI NOV 05 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC NOVEMBER 05 2010

A 150 TO 175 MILE WIDE BAND OF BROKEN STRATUS AND STRATOCUMULUS 
CLOUDS COVERS FROM MOLOKAI TO THE BIG ISLAND EARLY THIS AFTERNOON. 
THESE CLOUDS ARE ASSOCIATED WITH A DISSIPATED FRONT WHICH ARE NOW 
OVERRUN BY EAST-NORTHEASTERLY TRADE WINDS FROM BUILDING HIGH 
PRESSURE NORTH OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THE LEADING EDGE OF 
THIS CLOUD BAND EXTENDS FROM 40N128W TO 26N138W TO 17N163W. THE 
FRONT IS ACTIVE NORTH OF 28N...MOVING EAST AT 20 MPH. SOUTH OF THIS 
LATITUDE THE CLOUD BAND IS MOVING SOUTH TO SOUTHWEST AIDED BY THE 
SUBTROPICAL HIGH BUILDING IN BEHIND THE FRONT. THIS HIGH WHICH IS 
CENTERED AT 33N160W IS DRIVING EAST TO NORTHEAST WINDS ACROSS MOST 
OF THE CENTRAL PACIFIC BASIN WITH CLOUD MOTIONS FOLLOWING SUIT.

DIRECTLY NORTH AND WEST OF THE REMNANT FRONTAL CLOUD BAND...BROKEN 
OPEN-CELLED STRATOCUMULUS AND CUMULUS CLOUDS COVER A FAIRLY LARGE 
AREA. THEY EXTENDING FROM THE BACK OF THE MENTIONED STRATUS CLOUD 
BAND TO THE BOUNDARY OF ANOTHER DISSIPATED FRONT THAT IS LOCATED 
ALONG A LINE FROM 33N154W TO 28N160W TO 27N170W.

AROUND THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS THIS AFTERNOON...WINDWARD WATERS OF 
MOLOKAI THROUGH THE BIG ISLAND ARE COVERED BY THE BROKEN STRATUS AND 
STRATOCUMULUS BAND OF CLOUDS. CLOUDS OVER THE CHANNELS AND LEEWARD 
WATERS HAVE A MORE DISORGANIZED BROKEN CLOUD PATTERN WITH PLUME 
CLOUDS COMING OFF MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND. SCATTERED CUMULUS COVER 
THE WATERS AROUND KAUAI AND OAHU. CLOUDS AROUND THE STATE ARE MOVING 
TO THE WEST-SOUTHWEST AT 20 TO 25 MPH. OVER LAND...BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST CLOUD BUILDUPS ARE SEEN ACROSS WINDWARD KAUAI AND THE 
WAIANAE AND KOOLAU RANGES ON OAHU. SMALL BREAKS IN THE CLOUDS ARE 
OCCURRING MAINLY ON THE LEEWARD AND SOUTH SHORE AREAS OF KAUAI AND 
OAHU. MOLOKAI AND LANAI HAVE OVERCAST CLOUDS ON THE WINDWARD SIDES 
AND SCATTERED CLOUDS ACROSS LEEWARD SIDES. MAUI HAS OVERCAST CLOUDS 
OVER ALL WINDWARD SIDES UP TO 9 KFT IN ELEVATION ON HALEAKALA. 
BROKEN CLOUDS COVER THE REMAINDER OF MAUI. THE BIG ISLAND HAS 
OVERCAST CLOUDS OVER WINDWARD SIDES OF THE ISLAND UP TO 8 KFT IN 
ELEVATION. OVERCAST CLOUD BUILDUPS ARE ALSO SEEN ALONG THE KONA 
COAST AND FROM SOUTH POINT TO APUA POINT. A FEW CLOUDS ARE OBSERVED 
OVER THE KOHALA AREA AND NEAR THE PEAKS.

ELSEWHERE...WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A WEAKENING UPPER LEVEL TROUGH 
HOVERING NEAR 21N179E. IT/S CURRENTLY GENERATING SOME CLUSTERS AND 
STRANDS OF BROKEN CIRRUS CLOUDS FROM 15N TO 28N AND 170W TO 175E. 

FAR SOUTH OF THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...A 230 MILE WIDE LINE OF 
SCATTERED SHOWERS EXTENDS ALONG A LINE FROM 07N177W TO 16N131W. 
THUNDERSTORM TOPS REACH NEAR 49 KFT IN THIS AREA.
 
$$

FOSTER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.