Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 13:30:14 -0500

986 
ATHW40 PHFO 051830
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC FRI NOV 05 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC NOVEMBER 05 2010

A FRONTAL REMNANT CLOUD BAND IS DRAPED ACROSS THE STATE THIS 
MORNING. THIS BAND IS CHARACTERIZED AS 175 TO 225 MILES IN 
WIDTH...MADE UP OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST STRATUS CLOUDS WITH THE 
THICKEST CLOUDS ON THE SOUTHERN FRINGE OF THE BAND BISECTING THE BIG 
ISLAND...AND RUNS FROM 28N130W TO 20N155W TO 20N169W ON THE SOUTHERN 
EDGE. CLOUD MOTIONS ARE FROM THE EAST-NORTHEAST AT 20 MPH. THESE 
CLOUD MOTIONS ARE BEING DRIVEN BY FRESH TRADE WINDS FROM THE 
SUBTROPICAL HIGH CENTERED NEAR 30N151W. BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
STRATOCUMULUS AND CUMULUS CLOUDS ARE MOVING CLOCKWISE AROUND THE 
HIGH. THIS CLUSTER OF CLOUDS IS SANDWICHED BETWEEN THE MENTIONED 
FRONTAL REMNANT CLOUD BAND AND ANOTHER DISSIPATED FRONT ALONG AN 
AXIS FROM 26N166W TO 34N146W. THE ASSOCIATED OVERCAST STRATUS CLOUD 
BAND IS ALSO BEING PUSHED BACK TO THE WEST BY THE TRADE WINDS.

AROUND THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...THE THICKEST CLOUDS ARE BUNCHED 
AGAINST THE WINDWARD PORTION OF THE BIG ISLAND. A LOW CLOUD PLUME 
WAS FLOWING WESTWARD OFF THE KONA COAST ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE 
ISLAND. THIS SHOWERY...BROKEN TO OVERCAST PLUME WAS ABOUT 60 MILES 
WIDE AND EXTENDED OVER 750 MILES FROM THE BIG ISLAND. BROKEN STRATUS 
CLOUDS COVER WINDWARD WATERS OF THE SMALLER MAIN ISLANDS WHILE FEW 
TO SCATTERED COVER THE LEEWARD WATERS. OVER LAND...CLOUD BUILD UPS 
ARE FOUND MAINLY OVER WINDWARD AND MOUNTAIN RANGES. ON KAUAI...THE 
FAR WESTERN COAST HAS SUNNY SKIES THIS MORNING WHILE THE REST OF THE 
ISLAND IS COVERED IN BROKEN TO OVERCAST STRATUS CLOUDS. OAHU HAS 
QUITE A BIT OF CLOUD BUILD UP ACROSS THE KOOLAU RANGE AND ADJACENT 
WINDWARD PORTIONS. A FEW CLOUDS ARE OBSERVED OVER THE NORTHERN 
WAIANAE MOUNTAINS WHILE THE REST OF THE ISLAND IS MOSTLY SUNNY.

MOLOKAI HAS SCATTERED TO BROKEN CLOUDS OVER MOST OF THE 
ISLAND...CONCENTRATED MORE SO ON THE EASTERN HALF. LANAI HAS A FEW 
CLOUDS OVER THE CENTRAL INTERIOR WHILE MAUI HAS CLOUD BUILD UPS 
ACROSS THE WINDWARD LOWER SLOPES OF HALEAKALA AND WEST MAUI. THE BIG 
ISLAND HAS A THIN RING OF CLOUDS OVER THE WINDWARD COAST. SOME 
CLOUDS ARE ALSO OBSERVED ACROSS THE CENTRAL KONA COAST...WHILE THE 
REST OF THE BIG ISLAND IS MOSTLY SUNNY.

ELSEWHERE...A FEW HIGH CLOUDS ARE BOUNDED BETWEEN 20N TO 26N AND 
168W TO 178W. THESE ARE DUE TO A WEAK UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE NEAR 
24N179E.

FAR SOUTH OF THE STATE IN THE ITCZ...WIDELY SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS 
ARE BOUNDED BETWEEN 07N TO 11N AND 150W TO 175E. CLOUD TOPS ARE NEAR 
46 KFT.

$$

FOSTER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.