Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 13:30:25 -0500

295 
ATHW40 PHFO 061830
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC SAT NOV 06 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC NOVEMBER 06 2010

A SUBTROPICAL HIGH IS CENTERED AT 30N151W AND IS DRIVING MODERATE TO 
FRESH EASTERLY TRADE WINDS ACROSS THE MAJORITY OF THE CENTRAL 
PACIFIC BASIN. TWO DISSIPATING FRONTS WHICH ARE NEARLY RUNNING 
TOGETHER JUST TO THE NORTH OF THE HIGH CENTER ARE TRAVELING EAST AT 
25 MPH. THESE FRONTS ARE OBSERVED ON INFRARED SATELLITE AS BANDS OF 
OVERCAST STRATUS CLOUDS AROUND 100 MILES WIDE...ONE ALONG AN AXIS 
FROM 33N164W TO 32N152W AND THE OTHER FROM 30N160W TO 33N139W. SOUTH 
OF THE HIGH CLOSED-CELL STRATOCUMULUS COVER AN AREA BETWEEN 21N TO 
30N AND 131W TO 180E. THESE CLOUDS ARE BEING CARRIED BY THE TRADES 
AND MOVING WEST AT 20 MPH. A NEARLY DISSIPATED NARROW BAND OF 
STRATUS CLOUDS FROM AN OLD FRONT RUNS FROM CAPE KUMUKAHI ON THE BIG 
ISLAND EAST TO 20N140W TO 24N130W. SOME OF THESE STRATUS CLOUDS 
EXPAND TO COVER THE WINDWARD AND LEEWARD WATERS OF THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THE STRATUS CLOUDS COVER AN AREA 150 MILES NORTH 
AND SOUTH OF THE SMALLER MAIN ISLANDS.

VISIBLE IMAGES SHOW THE STRATUS CLOUDS PUSHING ONTO WINDWARD AND 
MAUKA PORTIONS OF ALL OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. MANY OF THIS 
CLOUD COVER IS FLOWING OVER TO LEEWARD SIDES AS WELL...PARTICULARLY 
ON KAUAI AND OAHU. ON KAUAI...SMALL BREAKS IN THE CLOUDS ARE 
OBSERVED JUST ON THE LEEWARD COASTLINE WHILE OTHER AREAS HAVE BROKEN 
TO OVERCAST CLOUDS. OAHU HAS OVERCAST CLOUDS OVER THE WHOLE ISLAND 
WITH SMALL BREAKS ALONG THE SOUTH AND WEST SHORES. MOLOKAI HAS 
BROKEN CLOUDS OVER THE WINDWARD SIDE AND SCATTERED CLOUDS ACROSS THE 
REMAINDER OF THE ISLAND. LANAI HAS A BROKEN PATCH OF CLOUDS OVER THE 
WINDWARD SIDE. MAUI HAS THICK CLOUD BUILD UPS ON WINDWARD WEST MAUI 
AND HALEAKALA WINDWARD SLOPES. THE CENTRAL INTERIOR...HALEAKALA AND 
ADJACENT LEEWARD AREAS ARE MOSTLY SUNNY THIS MORNING. THE BIG ISLAND 
HAS OVERCAST CLOUD BUILD UPS OVER THE EAST SIDE OF THE ISLAND UP TO 
11 KFT IN ELEVATION. THE KONA SLOPES ALSO HAS A SMALLER AREA OF 
CLOUDS BUILDING UP TO AROUND 8 KFT IN ELEVATION. THE KOHALA AREA IS 
MOSTLY SUNNY THIS MORNING. 

RADAR IS TRACKING SCATTERED SHOWERS ACROSS THE STATE...MOSTLY OVER 
WINDWARD PORTIONS OF THE ISLANDS AND ADJACENT WATERS. HIGHEST 
CONCENTRATION OF SHOWERS IS ALONG THE SOUTHEAST COAST OF THE BIG 
ISLAND AND WINDWARD KAUAI AND OAHU.

FAR SOUTH OF THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS IN THE ITCZ...SCATTERED 
THUNDERSTORMS COVER AN AREA FROM 05N TO 11N AND 140W TO FAR WEST OF 
THE DATELINE WESTWARD. CLOUD TOPS WITHIN THESE THUNDERSTORMS REACH A 
HEIGHT OF 49 KFT.

$$

FOSTER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.