Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 12:27:21 -0600

062 
ATHW40 PHFO 071827
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC SUN NOV 07 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC NOVEMBER 07 2010

BREEZY TRADE WINDS PREVAIL OVER THE ISLANDS THIS MORNING...AND ARE 
BRINGING A MIX OF LOW CLOUDS TOWARD THE ISLANDS FROM THE EAST. 
CUMULUS /CU/ AND STRATOCUMULUS /SC/ COVERAGE OVER WINDWARD WATERS 
EAST OF MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND IS BROKEN TO OVERCAST...AND 
DECREASES TO FEW TO SCATTERED NEAR KAUAI AND OAHU. WINDWARD SLOPES 
OF ALL ISLANDS...HOWEVER...ARE UNDER BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS. 
LEEWARD AREAS OF THE STATE...INCLUDING NEAR SHORE LEEWARD WATERS... 
ARE MOSTLY CLEAR...ASIDE FROM SCATTERED TO BROKEN CU AND SC OVER THE 
WAIANAE SLOPES ON OAHU. LOW CLOUDS NEAR THE ISLANDS ARE MOVING 
TOWARD THE WEST AT SPEEDS NEAR 24 MPH. 

DESPITE NEARLY CLEAR SKIES OVER NEAR SHORE LEEWARD WATERS... 
MOISTURE ASSOCIATED WITH A DISSIPATED FRONT ABOUT 100 TO 200 MILES 
TO THE WEST AND SOUTHWEST OF THE ISLANDS IS HELPING TO FUEL THE 
DEVELOPMENT OF HEAVY SHOWERS...AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS...THE 
CLOSEST OF WHICH IS ABOUT 130 MILES SOUTHWEST OF NIIHAU. FURTHER 
WEST...NEAR 22N 167W...SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS ARE OBSERVED ALONG 
THE WESTERN EDGE OF THE DIFFUSE CLOUD BAND THAT WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR 
DELIVERING SHOWERS TO THE ISLANDS THE PAST SEVERAL DAYS. THIS BAND 
IS 200 MILES WIDE...ORIENTED WEST-NORTHWEST TO EAST-SOUTHEAST...AND 
IS MOVING WEST...AWAY FROM THE ISLANDS. THE LEADING EDGE OF AN AREA 
OF INCREASED...BROKEN TO OVERCAST...LOW CLOUDS IS NEARING THE 
ISLANDS FROM THE EAST...BUT THIS CLOUD FIELD IS DOMINATED BY STABLE 
SC...AND CONTAINS FEWER SHOWERY CU THAN RECENT DAYS. 

LIGHT WINDS PREVAIL IN THE UPPER ATMOSPHERE OVER THE ISLANDS...AND 
THE PATTERN ALOFT NEAR THE ISLANDS IS DIFFICULT TO DECIPHER FROM 
WATER VAPOR IMAGERY. LAYERED MID- AND UPPER-LEVEL MOISTURE IS IN 
GREATER SUPPLY OVER THE WESTERN PORTION OF THE STATE AS OPPOSED TO 
THE EASTERN PORTION. THE THUNDERSTORMS DEVELOPING WEST OF THE 
ISLANDS APPEAR TO BE DEVELOPING IN RESPONSE TO A RELATIVELY SMALL 
AND WEAK TROUGH ALOFT...LOCATED ALONG A LINE FROM 28N 170W TO 23N 
167W TO 19N 164W.  

$$

BIRCHARD

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.