Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 18:34:12 -0600

519 
ATHW40 PHFO 080033
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC MON NOV 8 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC NOVEMBER 8 2010

FAIRLY DRY TRADE WIND WEATHER PREVAILS OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS THIS AFTERNOON...ESPECIALLY AS COMPARED TO THE SHOWERY TRADE 
WIND WEATHER OF THE PAST SEVERAL DAYS. FEW TO SCATTERED CUMULUS /CU/ 
AND STRATOCUMULUS /SC/ ARE OVER NEAR SHORE WINDWARD WATERS EAST OF 
THE ISLANDS FROM KAUAI TO MAUI...BUT BROKEN TO OVERCAST SC...WITH 
EMBEDDED SHOWERY CU...CONTINUE OVER WINDWARD BIG ISLAND WATERS. 
SKIES OVER NEAR SHORE LEEWARD WATERS CONTINUE TO BE NEARLY CLOUD 
FREE...EXCEPT IN A FEW SELECT AREAS...WHERE SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS ARE DRIFTING OFF THE ISLANDS.

SCATTERED TO BROKEN CU CONTINUE TO LINE THE LOWER WINDWARD SLOPES OF 
KAUAI...AND AFTERNOON SEA BREEZES ALONG KAUAI/S WESTERN SHORE HAVE 
LED TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER LEEWARD KAUAI/S 
LEEWARD SLOPES. SCATTERED TO BROKEN CU CONTINUE OVER THE SPINE OF 
OAHU/S KOOLAU RANGE...WITH SIMILAR CLOUD COVER NOTED OVER THE 
NORTHERN HALF OF THE WAIANAE RANGE. CENTRAL OAHU...AS WELL AS THE 
SOUTH AND NORTH SHORES...AND MOST OF THE WEST SIDE...ARE MOSTLY 
SUNNY WITH FEW TO SCATTERED CU. SMALL SHOWERY CU ARE MOVING ASHORE 
OVER WINDWARD OAHU...DELIVERING BRIEF LIGHT SHOWERS. BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST SC AND CU ARE OVER THE EASTERN THIRD OF THE ISLAND OF 
MOLOKAI...WITH LEEWARD PORTIONS OF THE ISLAND UNDER SUNNY SKIES. 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST SC AND CU ARE OVER THE LOWER WINDWARD SLOPES OF 
BOTH HALEAKALA AND THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS...WHILE BROKEN LOW CLOUDS 
ALONG THE LEEWARD LOWER SLOPES OF HALEAKALA ARE SPREADING OVER NEAR 
SHORE LEEWARD WATERS...TOWARD AND OVER KAHOOLAWE. MOST OF THE LOWER 
SLOPES OF THE BIG ISLAND ARE COVERED IN SC AND SHOWERY CU...WITH THE 
EXCEPTIONS BEING THE LEEWARD KOHALA DISTRICT...WHERE SUNNY SKIES 
PREVAIL FROM KEAHOLE POINT TO UPOLU POINT. THE SUMMITS AND UPPER 
SLOPES OF HALEAKALA ON MAUI...AND THE BIG ISLAND VOLCANOES...ARE 
SUNNY. LOW CLOUDS NEAR THE ISLANDS ARE MOVING TOWARD THE WEST AT 
SPEEDS NEAR 28 MPH. 

AN AREA OF MOISTURE THAT WAS FUELING ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS OVER 
WATERS 100 TO 200 MILES WEST OF KAUAI THIS MORNING HAS SINCE MOVED 
FARTHER AWAY TO THE WEST...AND THE SHORT-LIVED THUNDERSTORMS HAVE 
ALL BUT DISSIPATED. IN ADDITION...AN EAST-WEST ORIENTED...100 MILE 
WIDE...BAND OF LOW LEVEL MOISTURE ABOUT 200 MILES SOUTH OF THE BIG 
ISLAND EXTENDS WELL EAST OF THE ISLANDS...ALONG A LINE FROM 16N 160W 
TO 16N 150W TO 18N 140W...AND MARKS THE REMNANTS OF THE FRONT THAT 
BROUGHT RECENT RAINS TO WINDWARD AREAS OF THE STATE. 

LIGHT WINDS PREVAIL IN THE UPPER ATMOSPHERE OVER THE ISLANDS...WHERE 
THE PATTERN ALOFT IS DIFFICULT TO DECIPHER FROM WATER VAPOR IMAGERY. 
LAYERED MID- AND UPPER-LEVEL MOISTURE IS IN GREATER SUPPLY OVER THE 
WESTERN PORTION OF THE STATE AS OPPOSED TO THE EASTERN PORTION...AND 
APPEARS TO BE RELATED TO A SLOW-MOVING...WEAK TROUGH THAT EXTENDS 
FROM 30N 170W TO 21N 164W. 

$$

BIRCHARD

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.