Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 12:37:56 -0600

416 
ATHW40 PHFO 091837
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC TUE NOV 9 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC NOVEMBER 9 2010

THE LOW-LEVEL FLOW NEAR THE ISLANDS VEERS FROM THE EAST-SOUTHEAST 
OVER WATERS NEAR AND EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...TO A SOUTH-SOUTHEAST 
FLOW NEAR KAUAI. LOW CLOUDS ARE MOVING MORE QUICKLY OVER WINDWARD 
WATERS AS OPPOSED TO LEEWARD WATERS...DUE TO HIGH PRESSURE CENTERED 
FAR NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS...AND WEAK TROUGHING LOCATED WEST OF 
THE ISLANDS. LOW CLOUDS ARE PRIMARILY SCATTERED OVER WINDWARD WATERS 
EAST OF THE ISLANDS...BUT SCATTERED TO BROKEN CUMULUS /CU/ AND 
STRATOCUMULUS /SC/ ARE OVER WINDWARD WATERS EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...
AND OVER WATERS SOUTH AND WEST OF KAUAI. 

SKIES OVER KAUAI ARE GENERALLY PARTLY CLOUDY...ALTHOUGH BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS ALONG THE SOUTH AND WEST SHORES ARE MAKING CONDITIONS 
CLOUDIER THAN NORMAL FOR THE LEEWARD COASTS...AND ADJACENT NEAR 
SHORE WATERS. ASIDE FROM A PATCH OF BROKEN CU ALONG THE NORTHEAST 
SLOPES OF MOUNT WAIALEALE...THE REMAINDER OF THE ISLAND IS UNDER 
FEW TO SCATTERED CU AND SC...DESPITE THE PRESENCE OF THIN CIRRUS 
MOVING OVER THE ISLAND FROM THE WEST. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS LINE THE 
SPINE OF THE KOOLAU RIDGE ON OAHU...WITH THESE CLOUDS EXTENDING OVER 
SOME WINDWARD COMMUNITIES ALONG THE EASTERN SHORE. THE REMAINDER OF 
THE ISLAND IS UNDER MOSTLY SUNNY SKIES...WITH THIN CIRRUS OVER 
WATERS NORTH OF THE ISLAND...AND SCATTERED SC OVER THE SOUTHWEST 
COAST AND ADJACENT NEAR SHORE WATERS. SKIES OVER MAUI COUNTY AND 
NEAR SHORE WATERS ARE MOSTLY SUNNY THIS MORNING...BUT PATCHES OF 
SCATTERED TO BROKEN SC AND CU ARE OVER WINDWARD SLOPES OF MOLOKAI... 
AND OVER THE EASTERN LOWER SLOPES OF HALEAKALA ON MAUI...NEAR 
KIPAHULU AND KAUPO. BROKEN TO OVERCAST SC AND ISOLATED EMBEDDED 
SHOWERY CU ARE OVER THE LOWER WINDWARD SLOPES OF THE BIG ISLAND... 
FROM LAUPAHOEHOE TO HILO TO VOLCANO TO PAHALA...AND EXTEND UP TO 50 
MILES TO THE EAST. 

A DIFFUSE...150 MILE WIDE...BAND OF SHOWERY CU IS NORTHWEST- 
SOUTHEAST ORIENTED OVER WATERS EAST OF THE ISLANDS...WITH THE 
WESTERN PORTION OF THIS BAND 60 TO 80 MILES EAST OF THE WINDWARD 
SHORES. THE BAND IS LOCATED ALONG A LINE FROM 29N 159W TO 27N 159W 
TO 24N 157W TO 21N 154W TO 21N 148W...AND APPEARS TO BE MOVING ON A 
TRAJECTORY THAT WOULD KEEP THIS MOISTURE FROM MOVING INTO THE 
ISLANDS. LOW CLOUDS OVER WINDWARD WATERS EAST OF OAHU AND MOLOKAI 
ARE MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST AT SPEEDS NEAR 30 MPH...WITH LOW 
CLOUDS SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND MOVING TOWARD THE WEST AT SPEEDS NEAR 
22 MPH. LOW CLOUDS OVER WATERS SOUTH OF KAUAI ARE MOVING TOWARD THE 
NORTHWEST AT SPEEDS NEAR 18 MPH.   

NORTH OF 25N...THE NORTHERN PORTION OF THE BAND MENTIONED ABOVE IS 
MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH...AHEAD OF A COLD FRONT THAT IS WELL 
NORTHWEST OF THE ISLANDS...ROUGHLY ALONG A LINE FROM 30N 163W TO 27N 
167W TO 26N 175W. THUNDERSTORMS HAVE INCREASED IN BOTH COVERAGE AND 
INTENSITY ALONG THE FRONT IN THE LAST COUPLE OF HOURS...WITH CLOUD 
TOPS REACHING AS HIGH AS 40 THOUSAND FEET. WATER VAPOR IMAGERY 
HIGHLIGHTS A WEAK TROUGH ALOFT ASSOCIATED WITH THE FRONT...WITH A 
WEAK TROUGH EXTENDING SOUTHWESTWARD ALONG A LINE FROM 28N 163W TO 
23N 167W TO 19N 170W TO 13N 180. A WEAK AND RATHER SMALL RIDGE ALOFT 
LIES EAST OF THIS TROUGH...AND IS CURRENTLY OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS. 

$$

BIRCHARD

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.