Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 18:47:09 -0600

802 
ATHW40 PHFO 100047
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0045 UTC WED NOV 10 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0030 UTC NOVEMBER 10 2010

THE LOW-LEVEL FLOW NEAR THE ISLANDS HAS CHANGED LITTLE SINCE THIS 
MORNING...VEERING FROM AN EAST-SOUTHEAST DIRECTION OVER WATERS NEAR 
AND EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...TO A SOUTH-SOUTHEAST FLOW NEAR KAUAI. 
ADDITIONALLY...LOW CLOUDS OVER WATERS EAST OF THE ISLANDS ARE MOVING 
MORE QUICKLY THAN THOSE WEST OF THE ISLANDS...DUE TO HIGH PRESSURE 
CENTERED FAR NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS...AND WEAK TROUGHING LOCATED 
WEST OF THE ISLANDS. LOW CLOUDS ARE PRIMARILY FEW TO SCATTERED IN 
COVERAGE OVER NEAR SHORE WATERS AROUND THE ISLANDS...WITH AREAS OF 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER SELECT ISLAND AREAS.

WITH THE LOW LEVEL FLOW NEAR THE ISLANDS FAVORING A SOUTHEAST 
DIRECTION...THE SMALLER ISLANDS ARE IN THE WIND SHADOW OF THE BIG 
ISLAND...WHICH HAS ALLOWED SEA BREEZES TO DRIVE THE DEVELOPMENT OF 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ALONG LEEWARD SLOPES OF KAUAI AND OAHU. THE 
NORTHWESTERN PORTION OF THE ISLAND OF KAUAI...NORTHWEST OF A LINE 
FROM PRINCEVILLE TO WAIMEA...AND THE NEAR SHORE WATERS...ARE 
COVERED IN BROKEN CUMULUS /CU/ AND STRATOCUMULUS /SC/...AS ARE THE 
NEAR SHORE WATERS IMMEDIATELY NORTHWEST OF NIIHAU. SKIES ARE NEARLY 
CLEAR OVER THE REMAINDER OF THE ISLAND. OAHU HAS BROKEN CU OVER BOTH 
THE KOOLAU AND WAIANAE MOUNTAIN RANGES...WHILE THE CENTRAL PORTION 
OF THE ISLAND HAS FEW TO SCATTERED CU. SCATTERED TO BROKEN CU ARE 
OVER WINDWARD MOLOKAI SLOPES...WHILE A NARROW RIBBON OF BROKEN CU IS 
OVER THE WESTERN END OF THE ISLAND. WINDWARD SLOPES OF HALEAKALA ARE 
MOSTLY SUNNY WITH FEW CU...BUT BROKEN CU AND SC ARE OVER THE 
WINDWARD PORTIONS OF THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS...AND OVER THE LOWER 
LEEWARD SLOPES OF HALEAKALA. SKIES ARE SUNNY OVER KAHOOLAWE...WITH 
BROKEN CU OVER INTERIOR LANAI. MOST OF THE LOWER SLOPES OF THE BIG 
ISLAND ARE COVERED IN BROKEN TO OVERCAST SC AND CU...BUT NEAR SHORE 
COASTAL AREAS ON THE EAST SIDE ARE MOSTLY SUNNY...AS ARE THE 
INTERIOR AND SUMMIT AREAS. 

A CURVED BAND OF BROKEN SHOWERY CU LIES OVER WATERS EAST OF THE 
ISLANDS...WITH THE WESTERN EDGE OF THIS 150 MILE WIDE BAND ABOUT 
100 MILES NORTHEAST OF THE WINDWARD SHORES OF KAUAI AND OAHU. THE 
BAND LIES ALONG A LINE FROM 21N 151W TO 23N 156W TO 26N 158W TO 30N 
158W...AND CONTINUES TO MOVE ON A TRAJECTORY THAT WOULD KEEP THIS 
MOISTURE AWAY FROM THE ISLANDS. LOW CLOUDS OVER WINDWARD WATERS EAST 
OF OAHU AND MOLOKAI ARE MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST AT SPEEDS NEAR 
32 MPH...WITH LOW CLOUDS SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND MOVING TOWARD THE 
WEST AT SPEEDS NEAR 22 MPH. LOW CLOUDS OVER WATERS SOUTH OF KAUAI 
ARE MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST AT SPEEDS BETWEEN 10 AND 15 MPH.   

NORTH OF 25N...THE NORTHERN PORTION OF THE BAND MENTIONED ABOVE IS 
MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH...AHEAD OF A COLD FRONT THAT IS WELL 
NORTHWEST OF THE ISLANDS...MARKED BY A BAND OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
LAYERED CLOUDS...WITH EMBEDDED HEAVY SHOWERS...THAT IS 300 TO 500 
MILES WIDE. THE CLOUD BAND IS CENTERED ALONG A LINE FROM 30N 163W TO 
27N 167W TO NEAR 26N 177W. 

$$

BIRCHARD

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.