Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 23:29:18 -0600

234 
ATHW40 PHFO 100528
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC WED NOV 10 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC NOVEMBER 10 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH LOCATED 750 MILES 
EAST SOUTHEAST OF HILO AND ANOTHER UPPER TROUGH 300 MILES EAST OF 
MIDWAY ATOLL. BOTH TROUGHS ARE MOVING TO THE EAST NORTHEAST ABOUT 
40 MPH.  AN UPPER RIDGE IS POSITIONED OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS 
AND EXTENDS NORTHEASTWARD OVER 1000 MILES. THE SUBTROPICAL UPPER 
LEVEL JET IS LAYING WEST TO EAST ACROSS THE REGION SOUTH OF 15N. 

A LARGE AREA OF LAYERED CLOUDS EXTENDS IN A 500 MILE WIDE BAND FROM 
20N175W TO 30N164W. WITHIN THIS BROAD AREA OF CLOUDS...ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS AND TOWERING CUMULUS WITH TOPS OVER 35000 FEET ARE 
LOCATED WITHIN 60 MILES OF A LINE FROM 30N162W TO 24N168W. THIS 
LARGER AREA OF CLOUDS WITH EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS IS MOVING SLOWLY 
EAST AT ABOUT 10 MPH. A CLOUD DECK CONSISTING OF MAINLY HIGH LAYERED 
CIRRUS IS LOCATED SOUTH OF 18N BETWEEN 160W AND 170W...AS NEAR AS 
300 MILES SOUTHWEST OF HONOLULU...WITH MORE THIN WISPY CIRRUS CLOUDS 
IN PATCHES OVER THE WESTERN HALF OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. 
ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WITH TOPS TO 50000 FEET ARE LOCATED ALONG 
THE SOUTHERN BOUNDARY OF THE AREA NEAR 10N EAST OF 170W.  ELSEWHERE 
ACROSS THE CENTRAL PACIFIC...SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW TOPPED 
STRATOCUMULUS ARE THE RULE. 

FOR THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...LOW CLOUDS ARE SCATTERED ACROSS THE 
COASTAL WATERS AREAS AS WELL THE SMALLER ISLANDS AND WINDWARD BIG 
ISLAND. THE ONLY LARGE AREA OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS IS FOUND OVER THE 
KONA DISTRICT OF THE BIG ISLAND FROM SOUTH POINT NORTH TO NEAR 
WAIKOLOA. SMALLER AREAS OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS IS OVER THE NORTHEAST 
THROUGH NORTHWEST LOWER SLOPES OF HALEAKALA ON MAUI...THE NORTH 
HALF OF THE ISLAND OF LANAI AND ANOTHER OVER THE KOOLAU MOUNTAINS OF 
OAHU. LOW CLOUD TOPS ARE ESTIMATED AT 7500 TO 9000 FEET THROUGHOUT 
THE ISLANDS. THE LOW CLOUD MOVEMENT IS TO THE WEST NORTHWEST AT 
SPEEDS RANGING FROM 10 MPH OVER THE WESTERN HALF OF THE STATE TO 
NEARLY 20 MPH SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND.

$$

BRENCHLEY

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.