Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 06:47:16 -0600

790 
ATHW40 PHFO 101247
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC WED NOV 10 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC NOVEMBER 10 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH LOCATED 700 MILES 
EAST SOUTHEAST OF HILO AND ANOTHER UPPER TROUGH 450 MILES EAST OF 
MIDWAY ATOLL. BOTH TROUGHS ARE MOVING TO THE EAST NORTHEAST ABOUT 
25 MPH. AN UPPER RIDGE IS POSITIONED OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS 
AND EXTENDS NORTHEASTWARD OVER 1000 MILES. THE SUBTROPICAL UPPER 
LEVEL JET IS LAYING WEST TO EAST ACROSS THE REGION SOUTH OF 15N. 
SOME HIGH CLOUDS ARE BEING PULLED NORTHWARD BETWEEN 170W AND 160W 
FROM THE TROPICS TOWARDS THE MID LATITUDE TROUGH OVER THE 
NORTHWESTERN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.

A LARGE AREA OF LAYERED CLOUDS EXTENDS IN A 350 MILE WIDE BAND FROM 
21N173W TO 30N163W. WITHIN THIS BROAD AREA OF CLOUDS...ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS AND TOWERING CUMULUS WITH TOPS UP TO 42000 FEET ARE 
LOCATED WITHIN 60 MILES EITHER SIDE OF A LINE FROM 23N172W TO 
30N160W...CROSSING ABOUT 450 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI AT ITS CLOSEST 
POINT. THIS LARGER AREA OF CLOUDS WITH EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS IS 
MOVING SLOWLY EAST AT ABOUT 10 MPH. A CLOUD DECK CONSISTING OF 
MAINLY HIGH LAYERED CIRRUS IS LOCATED SOUTH OF 18N BETWEEN 160W AND 
170W...AS NEAR AS 250 MILES SOUTHWEST OF HONOLULU...WITH MORE THIN 
WISPY CIRRUS CLOUDS IN PATCHES OVER THE WESTERN HALF OF THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WITH TOPS TO 50000 FEET ARE 
LOCATED ALONG THE SOUTHERN BOUNDARY OF THE AREA BETWEEN 12N AND 13N 
EAST OF 165W.  ELSEWHERE ACROSS THE CENTRAL PACIFIC...SCATTERED TO 
BROKEN LOW TOPPED STRATOCUMULUS ARE THE RULE. 

FOR THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE OVER SOUTH AND 
EAST KAUAI...THE SOUTH SHORE OF OAHU AND EXTENDING ALONG THE KOOLAU 
MOUNTAINS AND ACROSS TO KANEOHE BAY...THE EASTERN HALF OF 
MOLOKAI...THE WINDWARD MAUI COAST FROM HANA TO OHEO...AND THE 
WINDWARD BIG ISLAND COAST FROM CAPE KUMAKAHI TO LAUPAHOEHOE. BROKEN 
LOW CLOUD PLUMES ARE ALSO DRIFTING OVER THE KAIWI CHANNEL AND THE 
WINDWARD MAUI AND BIG ISLAND WATERS. LOW CLOUD TOPS ARE ESTIMATED AT 
7500 TO 9000 FEET THROUGHOUT THE ISLANDS. THE LOW CLOUD MOVEMENT IS 
TO THE WEST NORTHWEST AT NEAR 15 MPH IN AREAS FREE FROM THE EFFECTS 
OF ISLAND TERRAIN.

$$

BRENCHLEY

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.