Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 23:47:21 -0600

905 
ATHW40 PHFO 110547
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC THU NOV 11 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC NOVEMBER 11 2010

AN UPPER TROUGH WEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS HAS AN AXIS 
EXTENDING THROUGH 31N163W AND 04N180W. AN AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
HIGH CLOUDS SOUTH AND EAST OF A LINE FROM 11N170W TO 20N163W TO 
24N158W TO 14N146W MARKS THE EASTERN FLANK OF THE TROUGH. THESE HIGH 
CLOUDS ARE AFFECTING THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS THIS 
EVENING...BLOCKING THE VIEW OF LOW CLOUDS THERE. 

ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS...CB...EMBEDDED WITHIN BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS 
FORM A RAGGED 180 MILE WIDE BAND NORTH OF A LINE FROM 07N140W TO 
08N160W TO 04N170W TO 04N180W. BETWEEN 170W AND 146W...THIS CLOUD 
BAND IS MERGED WITH THE AREA OF HIGH CLOUDS MENTIONED PREVIOUSLY. 

A RAGGED 180 TO 240 MILE WIDE BAND OF BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS LIES 
NORTH OF A LINE FROM 25N163W TO 31N150W TO 33N145W. THIS 
FEATURE...MARKING A FRONTAL BOUNDARY...CONTINUES NORTHEASTWARD AS A 
BAND OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS NORTH OF A LINE FROM 33N145W 
TO 34N140W THEN BEYOND TOWARD THE MAINLAND.  THIS BAND HAS NOT MOVED 
MUCH OVER THE PAST 12 HOURS.

OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS NORTH AND WEST OF A LINE FROM 33N180W TO 
30N172W TO 42N154W MARK ANOTHER FRONTAL BOUNDARY. MOVEMENT IS TOWARD 
THE EAST AT 40 MPH NEAR 40N.

SATELLITE LOOP SHOWS A BROAD ANTICYCLONIC CIRCULATION AT LOW CLOUD 
LEVEL SOUTH OF THE FIRST FRONTAL BAND. THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS LIE 
NEAR THE WESTERN EDGE OF THIS CIRCULATION...WITH EMBEDDED LOW CLOUDS 
SLIPPING BENEATH THE HIGH CLOUD COVER A HUNDRED MILES OR SO EAST OF 
MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND. USING GAPS IN THE HIGH CLOUDS IN OLDER 
VISIBLE IMAGERY AS A GUIDE...IT SEEMS THAT LOW CLOUDS ARE RATHER 
SPARSE ACROSS LEEWARD PORTIONS OF KAUAI AND OAHU. THE WINDWARD THIRD 
OF OAHU HAD BROKEN LOW CLOUDS. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS ALSO 
COVERED WINDWARD HALEAKALA SLOPES ON MAUI AS WELL AS WINDWARD WEST 
SLOPES. HIGH CLOUDS ARE TOO THICK...AND HAVE BEEN TOO THICK SINCE 
LATE AFTERNOON...TO ASSESS LOW CLOUD COVERAGE.  

$$
POWELL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.