Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 06:26:32 -0600

988 
ATHW40 PHFO 111226
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC THU NOV 11 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC NOVEMBER 11 2010

HIGH CLOUDS HAVE THINNED NOTICEABLY ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS 
SINCE LAST EVENING...ALLOWING FLEETING GLIMPSES OF LOW CLOUDS EAST 
OF KAUAI AND THE KAUAI CHANNEL. SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER 
THE KOOLAU SUMMITS AND SLOPES OF WINDWARD OAHU...WINDWARD HALEAKALA 
SLOPES OF MAUI AND THE EASTERN THIRD OF MOLOKAI. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS 
COVER WINDWARD BIG ISLAND SLOPES FROM HILO SOUTHWARD. LEEWARD AREAS 
OF ALL ISLANDS EAST OF KAUAI...AND ALL OF LANAI...APPEAR TO HAVE 
SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS TO CLEAR SKIES. HIGH CLOUDS ARE STILL TOO THICK 
TO SEE ELSEWHERE LOCALLY. HOWEVER...SATELLITE LOOP SHOWS LOW CLOUDS 
ARE MOVING ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS GENERALLY TOWARD THE WEST 
NORTHWEST AT 15 MPH. 

THE THINNING HIGH CLOUDS ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE PART 
OF AN BROAD AREA OF HIGH CLOUDS SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 11N170W TO 
20N165W TO 25N157W TO 17N150W TO 12N140W. AN UPPER TROUGH WEST OF 
THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS HAS AN AXIS EXTENDING THROUGH 31N163W AND 
04N180W. THE AREA OF HIGH CLOUDS MARKS THE EASTERN FLANK OF THIS 
TROUGH.

ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS...CB...EMBEDDED WITHIN BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS 
FORM A RAGGED 180 MILE WIDE BAND NORTH OF A LINE FROM 06N140W TO 
08N160W TO 04N170W TO 04N180W. EAST OF 170W...THIS CLOUD BAND IS 
MERGED WITH THE AREA OF HIGH CLOUDS MENTIONED PREVIOUSLY. 

A RAGGED AND THINNING 120 TO 180 MILE WIDE BAND OF BROKEN LAYERED 
CLOUDS LIES NORTH OF A LINE FROM 27N161W TO 31N150W TO 33N145W. THIS 
FEATURE...MARKING A FRONTAL BOUNDARY...CONTINUES NORTHEASTWARD AS A 
BAND OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS NORTH OF A LINE FROM 33N145W 
TO 34N140W THEN BEYOND TOWARD THE MAINLAND. THIS BAND HAS NOT MOVED 
MUCH OVER THE PAST 12 HOURS.

A DEEP LOW HAS CROSSED THE DATELINE NEAR 45N AND IS HEADING EAST IN 
EXCESS OF 40 MPH. OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS FORM A 400 TO 500 MILE 
WIDE BAND NORTH AND WEST OF A LINE FROM 32N180W TO 32N170W TO 
34N160W TO 43N150W. THIS CLOUD BAND THEN WRAPS NORTHWEST THEN WEST 
INTO THE LOW...MARKING AN ASSOCIATED FRONTAL BOUNDARY. LIKE THE 
LOW...THE CLOUD BAND IS SPREADING TOWARD THE EAST IN EXCESS OF 40 
MPH. 

$$
POWELL

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.