Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 12:29:22 -0600

435 
ATHW40 PHFO 131829
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC SAT NOV 13 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC NOVEMBER 13 2010

A HIGHLY AMPLIFIED JET STREAM DOMINATES OVER THE CENTRAL AND NORTH 
PACIFIC. STRONG HIGH PRESSURE AT THE SURFACE AND ALOFT CENTERED FAR 
NORTHEAST OF THE AREA GIVES WAY TO A DEEP UPPER LEVEL TROUGH NEAR 
THE DATE LINE EXTENDING SOUTH TO 25N.

THE UPPER TROUGH IS SUPPORTING A SURFACE COLD FRONT 700 MILES 
NORTHWEST OF KAUAI THAT IS ADVANCING TO THE EAST NEAR 15 MPH. THE 
FRONT IS MARKED BY A 250 MILE-WIDE BAND OF OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS 
CENTERED ALONG 30N169W...25N174W...AND 23N180. ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS EMBEDDED WITHIN THE FRONT NORTH OF 25N RISE TO 44 KFT.

THE FRONT HAS DISPLACED THE SUBTROPICAL RIDGE SOUTHWARD TO ABOUT 350 
MILES NORTHEAST OF KAUAI. EASTERLY TRADE WINDS ARE NOTED IN LOW 
CLOUD MOTIONS OF 20 TO 25 MPH...THOUGH CLOUD MOTIONS VEER OUT OF THE 
EAST SOUTHEAST JUST NORTH OF THE STATE.

LOW CLOUD COVERAGE FOLLOWS A TYPICAL WINDWARD AND MAUKA PATTERN 
OVER MUCH OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS THIS MORNING. PATCHES OF 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE CONFINED TO WINDWARD SLOPES OF MAUI... 
MOLOKAI...AND OAHU...WHILE A SMALL BAND OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS IS 
PRODUCING A GREATER AMOUNT OF LOW CLOUDS OVER THE EASTERN HALF OF 
KAUAI AND ITS ADJACENT WATERS. FEW TO SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS ARE 
MOVING ACROSS WINDWARD WATERS AHEAD OF A 150 MILE BAND OF BROKEN 
CUMULUS CLOUDS SITTING 100 MILES OFF THE WINDWARD COASTS. 

A BAND OF HIGH CLOUDS IS OBSCURING MUCH OF THE BIG ISLAND THIS 
MORNING. THE 300 MILE-WIDE HIGH CLOUD BAND IS BEING GENERATED BY A 
SHARP UPPER LEVEL TROUGH CENTERED FROM 10N177W TO 10N160W THEN 
RUNNING OVER MAUI AND ENDING AT A WEAK UPPER LOW NEAR 26N150W. THE 
UPPER TROUGH IS MOVING TO THE SOUTHEAST SLOWLY AND IS TRIGGERING 
ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WITH TOPS TO 42 KFT ABOUT 75 MILES SOUTH OF 
THE BIG ISLAND FROM 18N TO 16N BETWEEN 158W AND 153W. ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS ALSO RISE AS HIGH AS 47 KFT SOUTH OF 14N BETWEEN 174W 
AND 161W.

FAR SOUTHEAST OF THE STATE...A PORTION OF THE ITCZ EAST OF 147W HAS 
LIFTED NORTH OF 10N...REACHING 13N.
 
$$

DWROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.