Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 18:20:30 -0600

234 
ATHW40 PHFO 140020
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC SUN NOV 14 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC NOVEMBER 14 2010

A HIGHLY AMPLIFIED JET STREAM DOMINATES OVER THE CENTRAL AND NORTH 
PACIFIC. STRONG HIGH PRESSURE AT THE SURFACE AND ALOFT CENTERED FAR 
NORTHEAST OF THE AREA GIVES WAY TO A DEEP UPPER LEVEL TROUGH ALONG 
175W EXTENDING SOUTH TO 25N.

THE UPPER TROUGH IS SUPPORTING A SURFACE COLD FRONT 625 MILES 
NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. THE FRONT IS MARKED BY A 250 TO 300 MILE-WIDE 
BAND OF OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS CENTERED ALONG 30N168W...24N175W... 
AND 23N180. THIS FEATURE IS MOVING TO THE EAST AROUND 15 MPH EAST 
OF 175W...BECOMING NEARLY STATIONARY TO THE WEST. ISOLATED... 
EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS RISE TO ABOUT 45 KFT WITHIN THE FRONT EAST OF 
175W.

THE FRONT HAS DISPLACED THE SUBTROPICAL RIDGE SOUTHWARD TO ABOUT 350 
MILES NORTHEAST OF KAUAI. AS A RESULT...SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS OFF THE 
WINDWARD COASTS OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE TRAVELLING FROM THE 
EAST SOUTHEAST AT 20 TO 25 MPH...WHILE LOW CLOUDS JUST SOUTH OF THE 
ISLANDS ARE MOVING FROM THE EAST AROUND 15 MPH. A BAND OF BROKEN 
CUMULUS CLOUDS 60 MILES NORTHEAST OF THE ISLANDS IS CAUGHT UP IN THE 
EAST SOUTHEASTERLY FLOW...CAUSING IT TO ADVANCE SLOWLY TOWARD THE 
STATE.

WITH THE CLOUD BAND REMAINING EAST OF THE STATE...LOW CLOUDS ON THE 
ISLANDS FOLLOW A TYPICAL WINDWARD AND MAUKA PATTERN IN MOST LOCALES. 
PATCHES OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE CONFINED TO WINDWARD TERRAIN ON THE 
SMALLER ISLANDS. HOWEVER...A NARROW PLUME OF LOW CLOUDS ORIGINATING 
FROM WEST MOLOKAI IS EXTENDED TOWARD SOUTHEAST OAHU. ON WINDWARD BIG 
ISLAND...PATCHES OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE FOUND ON THE KAU SLOPES 
AND THE WAIPIO VALLEY VICINITY. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS HAVE ALSO 
DEVELOPED ALONG THE HEATED...LEEWARD SLOPES NORTH OF KEAHOLE POINT.

A SHARP...BUT WEAK...UPPER LEVEL TROUGH EXTENDS FROM 10N174W TO 
18N160W THEN RUNS OVER MAUI TO A WEAK UPPER LOW NEAR 27N150W. THE 
UPPER LOW IS MOVING EAST SLOWLY...WHILE THE UPPER LOW IS DRIFTING 
WESTWARD. A BAND OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN HIGH CLOUDS EXTENDS 400 
MILES TO THE SOUTH AND EAST OF THE UPPER TROUGH...AND INSTABILITY 
ASSOCIATED WITH THIS FEATURE IS TRIGGERING ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS 
WITH TOPS TO 42 KFT ABOUT 75 MILES SOUTH OF THE BIG ISLAND FROM 18N 
TO 16N BETWEEN 158W AND 154W.

FAR SOUTHEAST OF THE STATE...A PORTION OF THE ITCZ EAST OF 148W HAS 
LIFTED NORTH OF 10N...REACHING 14N.
 
$$

DWROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.