Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 18:27:57 -0600

859 
ATHW40 PHFO 150027
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC MON NOV 15 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC NOVEMBER 15 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL TROUGH NEAR 30N167W...OR 
ABOUT 600 MILES EAST NORTHEAST OF MIDWAY ATOLL. THIS TROUGH IS 
MOVING TO THE NORTHEAST AT 30 MPH. THE LEADING EDGE OF A CLOUD BAND 
ASSOCIATED WITH A COLD FRONT EXTENDS FROM 30N160W TO 25N162W TO 
19N180...AND IS UP TO 400 MILES WIDE. THE OVERALL BAND IS MOVING TO 
THE EAST AT 20 MPH EAST OF 170W...AND IS NEARLY STATIONARY WEST OF 
170W. THE BAND IS COMPOSED OF OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS EAST OF 
168W...WITH EMBEDDED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS EXTENDING UP TO 40000 FT. 
WEST OF 172W...THE BAND IS COMPOSED OF OVERCAST CUMULUS AND TOWERING 
CUMULUS ELEMENTS...WITH CLOUD TOPS EXTENDING UP TO 18000 FT. 

FARTHER TO THE NORTHWEST...AN AREA OF ACTIVE CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS IS 
LOCATED NEAR 30N176W...OR ABOUT 150 MILES NORTH NORTHEAST OF MIDWAY. 
THESE CLOUDS ARE ASSOCIATED WITH A DEEP UPPER LOW LOCATED NEAR 
36N178E...OR ABOUT 600 MILES NORTH NORTHWEST OF MIDWAY. CLOUD MOTION 
IS TO THE EAST AT 40 MPH...AND CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP TO 36000 FT. 

SOUTHEAST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS 
CLOUDS ARE LOCATED GENERALLY SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 10N160W TO 17N145W 
TO 10N140W. THIS AREA IS ABOUT 500 MILES SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND 
AT ITS CLOSEST POINT. THESE CLOUDS ARE ASSOCIATED WITH A 50 KNOT 
WEST SOUTHWESTERLY UPPER LEVEL JET. CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP TO 46000 
FT. THIS CONVECTION IS EMBEDDED IN A LARGER AREA OF MIDDLE AND HIGH 
LEVEL CLOUDS THAT IS PARTIALLY DEBRIS FROM THIS CONVECTION AND 
ADDITIONAL CONVECTION UPSTREAM IN THE INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE 
ZONE. INDIVIDUAL CUMULONIMBUS CELLS ARE NEARLY STATIONARY...WHILE 
THE NEARBY HIGH CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE EAST AND NORTHEAST AT 30 
MPH. 

NEAR THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...A ROUGHLY 100 MILE WIDE CLOUD BAND 
IS EMBEDDED IN THE LOW LEVEL FLOW. THIS BAND IS PRIMARILY COMPOSED 
OF SHOWERY OPEN CELL CUMULUS ELEMENTS. THE LEADING EDGE EXTENDS FROM 
28N161W TO 22N158W TO 14N150W...PASSING ACROSS WINDWARD SECTIONS AND 
COASTAL WATERS FROM OAHU TO THE BIG ISLAND. INDIVIDUAL CLOUD 
ELEMENTS ARE MOVING TO THE NORTHWEST AT 30 MPH...WHILE THE OVERALL 
BAND ITSELF IS MOVING VERY SLOWLY TO THE WEST. 

GOING FROM ISLAND TO ISLAND...SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE 
LOCATED OVER THE INTERIOR AND WESTERN SECTIONS OF KAUAI. BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER THE SLOPES OF THE WAIANAE AND KOOLAU 
RANGES ON OAHU...AND EXTEND 60 MILES OFFSHORE TO THE NORTHEAST. 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER MUCH OF MOLOKAI...AND EXTEND 40 MILES 
OFFSHORE TO THE NORTHEAST AS WELL AS 20 MILES OFFSHORE TO THE 
SOUTHWEST. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE INTERIOR OF LANAI AND THE 
WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS...AND ALSO EXTEND ACROSS THE AUAU CHANNEL 
BETWEEN THE TWO ISLANDS. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE LOWER SLOPES OF 
HALEAKALA BELOW 8000 FT...AND EXTEND 40 MILES OFFSHORE TO THE 
NORTHEAST. A BAND OF CLOUDS ALSO EXTENDS 20 MILES OFFSHORE TO THE 
WEST SOUTHWEST OF ULUPALAKUA...COVERING NORTHERN SECTIONS OF 
KAHOOLAWE. 

ON THE BIG ISLAND...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER MUCH OF 
SOUTH HILO AND PUNA DISTRICTS...AS WELL AS MUCH OF KAU DISTRICT 
BELOW 9000 FT. THESE CLOUDS EXTEND 70 MILES OFFSHORE TO THE 
NORTHEAST OF THE WINDWARD COAST. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER 
NORTH AND SOUTH KONA DISTRICTS SOUTH OF KEAHOLE POINT BELOW 4000 
FT...AS WELL AS WINDWARD SLOPES OF THE KOHALA RANGE. SCATTERED TO 
BROKEN CLOUDS ALSO COVER THE MIDDLE SLOPES OF NORTH AND SOUTH 
KONA...SOUTH KOHALA...AND HAMAKUA DISTRICTS UP TO 10000 FT. 

$$

BRAVENDER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.