Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 23:30:03 -0600

947 
ATHW40 PHFO 160529
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC TUE NOV 16 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC NOVEMBER 16 2010

TO THE NORTHWEST...SEVERAL CLOUD BANDS ASSOCIATED WITH A SERIES OF 
FRONTS CROSSED THE NORTHWEST HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THE LARGEST CLOUD 
BAND EXTENDED ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS WITHIN 90 MILES OF THE CURVE 
FROM 20N 180 TO 22N 175W TO 23N 171W TO 30N 166W AND FURTHER 
SOUTHWEST AND NORTH...THOUGH ADDITIONAL CLOUD LAYERS ASSOCIATED WITH 
THIS FEATURE SPREAD UP TO ABOUT 300 MILES FURTHER SOUTHEAST FROM IT 
BETWEEN 170W AND 160W. THE NEXT CLOUD BAND WAS LOCATED WITHIN 60 
MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 25N 175W TO 30N 170W AND FURTHER NORTH. THE 
LAST CLOUD BAND EXTENDED ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS WITHIN 45 MILES OF 
THE CURVE FROM 26N 180 TO 28N 176W TO 30N 173W AND FURTHER SOUTHWEST 
AND NORTHEAST. ALL THESE FEATURES CONSISTED MOSTLY OF DENSE MIDDLE 
TO LOW CLOUD LAYERS WITH EMBEDDED TOWERING CUMULI AND POSSIBLE 
THUNDERSTORMS...BUT HIGHER CLOUD LAYERS ALSO ACCOMPANIED THE 
PRIMARY CLOUD BAND. THESE FEATURES ALL DRIFTED TOWARD THE SOUTHEAST 
VERY SLOWLY. CLOUD COVER BETWEEN THE BANDS...AND ESPECIALLY TO THE 
NORTHWEST OF THE THIRD ONE...CONSISTED MAINLY OF COLD-AIR CUMULI.

WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOWED AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE IN THE UPPER 
ATMOSPHERE TO THE EAST NORTHEAST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. 
LAYERED HIGH TO MIDDLE CLOUDS WRAPPING COUNTER-CLOCKWISE AROUND THIS 
FEATURE MOSTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES EAST OF THE CURVE FROM 27N 
140W TO 27N 145W TO 25N 147W TO 19N 142W TO 14N 148W TO 16N 152W TO 
13N 155W TO 04N 16W TO 07N 140W.

TO THE SOUTH...LIGHT THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN THE ITCZ 
BETWEEN 12N AND 07N. LAYERED MIDDLE TO HIGH DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM THIS 
AND EARLIER CONVECTION PARTLY TO MOSTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES 
WITHIN ABOUT THE SAME RANGE OF LATITUDE.

OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS CONSISTED MAINLY OF A 
LAYER OF MARINE STRATUS BREAKING UP INTO STRATOCUMULI AS IT 
ENCROACHED FROM THE NORTHEAST. THE NEARLY SOLID OVERCAST WAS LIMITED 
TO NORTHEAST OF THE CURVE FROM 30N 153 TO 25N 147W TO 20N 140W...BUT 
ARCS OF STRATOCUMULI REACHED AS FAR SOUTHWEST AS THE CURVE FROM 30N 
159W TO 20N 154W TO 17N 140W. INDIVIDUAL STRATOCUMULUS AND CUMULUS 
FRAGMENTS OCCURRED FURTHER SOUTHWEST AS WELL. THESE CLOUDS GENERALLY 
ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 9000 FEET...AND MOVED TOWARD THE 
SOUTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 MILES AN HOUR.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...CLOUD COVER CONSISTED MOSTLY OF 
AFTERNOON CUMULUS BUILDUPS AND THEIR LAYERED DEBRIS CLOUDS OVER 
HIGHER TERRAIN INLAND...THOUGH A FEW MARINE CUMULI AND STRATOCUMULI 
ALSO MOVED ASHORE ALONG SLOPES FACING NORTHEAST...AND A FEW THIN 
HIGH CLOUDS PASSED OVERHEAD AT TIMES. AREAS WITH THE LEAST CLOUD 
COVER WERE LIMITED MAINLY TO SOUTHWEST KAUAI...MOST OF OAHU EXCEPT 
THE KOOLAU RANGE...THE WEST THREE QUARTERS OF MOLOKAI...NORTHWEST 
LANAI...THE CENTRAL ISTHMUS OF MAUI...THE SUMMIT OF HALEAKALA ON 
MAUI...THE SUMMITS OF MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA ON THE BIG ISLAND... 
AND THE WEST COAST OF NORTH AND SOUTH KOHALA DISTRICTS ON THE BIG 
ISLAND. THESE CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 7000 FEET. 
RADAR DATA FROM NEAR THE ISLANDS SHOWED ISOLATED SHOWERS AT MOST.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.