Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 06:08:01 -0600

104 
ATHW40 PHFO 161207
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC TUE NOV 16 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC NOVEMBER 16 2010

TO THE NORTHWEST...SEVERAL CLOUD BANDS ASSOCIATED WITH A SERIES OF 
FRONTS MERGED INTO A COMPLEX LARGER FEATURE. A MIX OF DENSE LOW TO 
MIDDLE CLOUD LAYERS ALTERNATING WITH COLD-AIR CUMULI PREVAILED 
NORTHWEST OF THE CURVE FROM 19N 180 TO 23N 165W TO 28N 160W TO 30N 
161W. ADDITIONAL HIGH TO MIDDLE CLOUD LAYERS SPREAD UP TO ABOUT 300 
MILES FURTHER SOUTHEAST BETWEEN 170W AND 160W. ISOLATED EMBEDDED 
TOWERING CUMULI AND PROBABLE THUNDERSTORMS ROSE THROUGH THE LOWER 
CLOUDS NORTH OF THE CURVE FROM 30N 170W TO 21N 164W TO 30N 161W. 
THIS FEATURE AS A WHOLE DRIFTED SOUTHEAST SLOWLY...WHILE ADDITIONAL 
CLOUD BANDS ACCUMULATED MORE RAPIDLY FROM THE NORTHWEST.

WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOWED AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE IN THE UPPER 
ATMOSPHERE TO THE EAST NORTHEAST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. 
LAYERED HIGH TO MIDDLE CLOUDS WRAPPING COUNTER-CLOCKWISE AROUND THIS 
FEATURE PARTLY TO MOSTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES EAST OF THE CURVE 
FROM 27N 140W TO 28N 146W TO 23N 144W TO 20N 140W TO 09N 159W TO 06N 
153W TO 08N 140W.

TO THE SOUTH...LIGHT THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN THE ITCZ 
BETWEEN 11N AND 07N...AND EXTENDED FURTHER NORTHWEST ALONG A TROUGH 
FROM 11N 154W TO 16N 160W. LAYERED MIDDLE TO HIGH DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM 
THIS AND EARLIER CONVECTION PARTLY TO MOSTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES 
WITHIN ABOUT THE SAME RANGE OF LATITUDE.

OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS CONSISTED MAINLY OF A 
LAYER OF MARINE STRATUS BREAKING UP INTO STRATOCUMULI AS IT 
APPROACHED FROM THE NORTHEAST. THE NEARLY SOLID OVERCAST WAS LIMITED 
TO NORTHEAST OF THE CURVE FROM 30N 150W TO 24N 147W TO 22N 140W... 
BUT ARCS OF STRATOCUMULI REACHED AS FAR SOUTHWEST AS THE CURVE FROM 
30N 160W TO 20N 154W TO 18N 140W. INDIVIDUAL STRATOCUMULUS AND 
CUMULUS FRAGMENTS OCCURRED FURTHER SOUTHWEST AS WELL. THESE CLOUDS 
GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 9000 FEET...AND MOVED TOWARD 
THE SOUTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 MILES AN HOUR.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...CLOUD COVER CONSISTED MOSTLY OF 
MARINE CUMULI AND STRATOCUMULI MOVING ASHORE ALONG SLOPES FACING 
NORTHEAST...THOUGH A FEW THIN HIGH CLOUDS PASSED OVERHEAD AT 
TIMES...AND LAYERED DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM AFTERNOON CUMULUS BUILDUPS 
ON MONDAY STILL LANGUISHED IN PLACES...ESPECIALLY ALONG LOWER WEST 
SLOPES OF THE BIG ISLAND. THESE LOWER CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE TO 
HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 7000 FEET. RADAR DATA FROM NEAR THE ISLANDS 
SHOWED ISOLATED SHOWERS AT MOST.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.