Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 12:45:34 -0600

457 
ATHW40 PHFO 161845
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC TUE NOV 16 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC NOVEMBER 16 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL LOW NORTH OF THE AREA NEAR 
34N175W...OR ABOUT 400 MILES NORTH NORTHEAST OF MIDWAY ATOLL. THIS 
LOW IS MOVING TO THE EAST NORTHEAST AT 10 TO 15 MPH. A STRONG 
SHORTWAVE TROUGH EXTENDS FROM THIS LOW TO 28N165W...AND IS 
ASSOCIATED WITH A COLD FRONT THAT IS LOCATED OVER THE NORTHWEST PART 
OF THE AREA. 

THE CLOUD BAND ASSOCIATED WITH THIS FRONT IS UP TO 300 MILES 
WIDE...AND THE LEADING EDGE EXTENDS FROM 30N159W TO 24N162W TO 
19N180. THE BAND IS COMPOSED OF DEEP LAYERED CLOUDS EAST OF 165W. 
ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN THE LAYERED 
CLOUDS...WITH CONVECTIVE CLOUD TOPS EXTENDING UP TO 45000 FT. THE 
BAND IS THINNER AND LESS CONTINUOUS WEST OF 165W...AND IS COMPOSED 
PRIMARILY OF CUMULUS AND TOWERING CUMULUS ELEMENTS. ISOLATED 
CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE ALSO EMBEDDED WITHIN THIS PORTION OF THE 
FRONTAL BAND...GENERALLY BETWEEN 165W AND 170W...WITH CLOUD TOPS 
EXTENDING UP TO 37000 FT. ADDITIONAL CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE LOCATED 
AHEAD OF THE MAIN FRONTAL BAND...GENERALLY BETWEEN 162W AND 165W 
NORTH OF 21N. THESE CLOUD TOPS ALSO EXTEND UP TO 45000 FT. THE 
OVERALL FRONTAL BAND IS MOVING TO THE EAST AT 15 MPH...ALTHOUGH 
INDIVIDUAL CLOUD ELEMENTS ARE MOVING TO THE NORTHEAST AT 40 MPH.

AN ADDITIONAL AREA OF ACTIVE CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS IS LOCATED WEST OF 
THE MAIN FRONT...CLOSER TO THE CORE OF THE UPPER LOW. THESE CLOUDS 
ARE LOCATED NEAR 30N BETWEEN 169W AND 173W...AND ARE MOVING TO THE 
EAST AT 40 MPH. CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP TO 32000 FT. OTHERWISE...BROKEN 
TO OVERCAST CUMULUS CLOUDS ARE LOCATED TO THE WEST OF THE MAIN 
FRONTAL BAND. THESE CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE EAST AND EAST NORTHEAST 
AT 40 MPH. 

SOUTH OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...A BAND OF CUMULUS AND TOWERING 
CUMULUS CLOUDS EXTENDS SOUTH AND EAST FROM THE CONVECTION WEST OF 
KAUAI. THIS BAND RUNS FROM 21N164W TO 17N162W TO 10N153W. THE BAND 
IS COMPOSED OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN CUMULUS AND TOWERING CUMULUS 
ELEMENTS...BUT WITH ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS EMBEDDED WITHIN THE 
LINE. CLOUD TOPS HAVE WARMED OVER THE PAST FEW HOURS...BUT EARLIER 
THIS MORNING TOPS HAD EXTENDED UP TO 42000 FT. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY ALSO SHOWS A SECOND UPPER LOW NEAR 23N145W...OR 
ABOUT 700 MILES EAST NORTHEAST OF HILO. THIS LOW IS MOVING TO THE 
WEST AT 5 MPH. THERE IS AN AREA OF CIRRUS AND CIRROCUMULUS CLOUDS 
NORTHEAST OF THE LOW...GENERALLY BETWEEN 24N AND 27N EAST OF 145W. 
THESE CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE NORTH AND NORTHWEST AT 20 TO 30 MPH 
EAST OF 143W...AND TO THE WEST AT 15 TO 20 MPH WEST OF 143W. 

AN ADDITIONAL AREA OF CIRRUS AND CIRROSTRATUS IS LOCATED SOUTH OF 
THE LOW...GENERALLY SOUTH OF 19N AND EAST OF 150W. THESE CLOUDS ARE 
MOVING TO THE NORTHEAST AT UP TO 50 MPH. 

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...SCATTERED TO BROKEN CIRRUS CLOUDS 
ARE LOCATED NEAR KAUAI AND NIIHAU...AND ARE DEBRIS FROM THE 
CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS LOCATED WEST OF THE STATE. AT LOW LEVELS... 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE EASTERN HALF OF KAUAI. BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER THE WINDWARD SLOPES OF THE KOOLAU RANGE. 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER EASTERN MOLOKAI EAST OF A LINE FROM 
KALAUPAPA TO PUKOO. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS ALSO COVER THE 
INTERIOR AND WINDWARD SECTIONS OF THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS...AND 
LOWER SLOPES OF HALEAKALA BELOW 7000 FT FROM HUELO TO HANA TO 
ULUPALAKUA. 

THE BIG ISLAND IS MOSTLY CLEAR. SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE 
LOCATED OVER THE WINDWARD SLOPES OF THE KOHALA RANGE. BROKEN TO 
OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS ARE LOCATED OVER EASTERN PUNA DISTRICT...AND 
EXTEND 60 TO 80 MILES OFFSHORE TO THE EAST AND SOUTHEAST. BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS ARE LOCATED OVER THE KONA COAST AND LOWER SLOPES BELOW 4000 
FT...AND EXTEND 60 MILES OFFSHORE TO THE WEST SOUTHWEST...MAINLY 
BETWEEN KEAUHOU AND MILOLII. 

$$

BRAVENDER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.