Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 18:47:01 -0600

327 
ATHW40 PHFO 170046
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC WED NOV 17 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC NOVEMBER 17 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS AN UPPER LEVEL LOW NORTH OF THE AREA NEAR 
34N173W...OR ABOUT 500 MILES NORTHEAST OF MIDWAY ATOLL. THIS LOW IS 
MOVING TO THE EAST NORTHEAST AT 10 TO 15 MPH. A STRONG SHORTWAVE 
TROUGH EXTENDS FROM THIS LOW TO 32N162W...AND IS ASSOCIATED WITH A 
COLD FRONT THAT IS LOCATED OVER THE NORTHWEST PART OF THE AREA. 

THE CLOUD BAND ASSOCIATED WITH THIS FRONT IS BETWEEN 200 MILES AND 
300 MILES WIDE...AND THE LEADING EDGE EXTENDS FROM 30N159W TO 
25N162W TO 19N180. THE BAND IS COMPOSED OF DEEP LAYERED CLOUDS EAST 
OF 164W. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN THE 
LAYERED CLOUDS...WITH CONVECTIVE CLOUD TOPS EXTENDING UP TO 45000 
FT. THE BAND IS THINNER AND LESS CONTINUOUS WEST OF 165W...AND IS 
COMPOSED PRIMARILY OF CUMULUS AND TOWERING CUMULUS ELEMENTS. 
ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE ALSO EMBEDDED WITHIN THIS PORTION 
OF THE FRONTAL BAND...GENERALLY BETWEEN 164W AND 169W...WITH CLOUD 
TOPS EXTENDING UP TO 40000 FT. ADDITIONAL CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS ARE 
LOCATED AHEAD OF THE MAIN FRONTAL BAND...GENERALLY BETWEEN 161W AND 
164W NORTH OF 21N. THESE CLOUD TOPS ALSO EXTEND UP TO 45000 FT. THE 
OVERALL FRONTAL BAND IS MOVING TO THE EAST AT 15 TO 20 MPH... 
ALTHOUGH INDIVIDUAL CLOUD ELEMENTS ARE MOVING TO THE NORTHEAST AT 40 
MPH.

BEHIND THE COLD FRONT...BANDS OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST CUMULUS CLOUDS 
ARE MOVING TO THE EAST AND EAST NORTHEAST AT 40 MPH. AN AREA OF 
ACTIVE CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS HAS MOVED NORTH OF THE AREA...AND IS 
LOCATED CLOSER TO THE CORE OF THE UPPER LOW. THESE CLOUDS ARE 
LOCATED BETWEEN 167W AND 173W NORTH OF 31N...AND ARE MOVING TO THE 
NORTHEAST AT 40 MPH. CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP TO 32000 FT. 

SOUTH OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...A BAND OF CUMULUS AND TOWERING 
CUMULUS CLOUDS EXTENDS SOUTH AND EAST FROM THE CONVECTION WEST OF 
KAUAI. THIS BAND RUNS FROM 21N164W TO 14N161W TO 10N156W. THE BAND 
IS COMPOSED OF SCATTERED TO BROKEN CUMULUS AND TOWERING CUMULUS 
ELEMENTS...BUT WITH ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS EMBEDDED WITHIN THE 
LINE. CLOUD TOPS HAVE WARMED OVER THE PAST FEW HOURS...BUT EARLIER 
THIS MORNING TOPS HAD EXTENDED UP TO 42000 FT. 

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY ALSO SHOWS A SECOND UPPER LOW NEAR 24N144W...OR 
ABOUT 800 MILES EAST NORTHEAST OF HILO. THIS LOW IS MOVING TO THE 
NORTHEAST AT 5 MPH. THERE IS AN AREA OF CIRRUS AND CIRROCUMULUS 
CLOUDS NORTHEAST OF THE LOW...GENERALLY BETWEEN 25N AND 29N EAST OF 
146W. THESE CLOUDS ARE MOVING TO THE NORTH AND NORTHWEST AT 20 TO 30 
MPH. 

AN ADDITIONAL AREA OF CIRRUS AND CIRROSTRATUS IS LOCATED SOUTH OF 
THE LOW...GENERALLY SOUTH OF 21N AND EAST OF 147W. THESE CLOUDS ARE 
MOVING TO THE NORTHEAST AT UP TO 50 MPH. ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS 
CLOUDS ARE LOCATED WITHIN THIS AREA...GENERALLY SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 
10N151W TO 14N140W. CLOUD TOPS EXTEND UP TO 50000 FT. 

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...THIN PATCHES OF CIRRUS CLOUDS ARE 
LOCATED OVER KAUAI AND OAHU...AND ARE DEBRIS FROM THE CUMULONIMBUS 
CLOUDS LOCATED WEST OF THE STATE. AT LOW LEVELS...A LARGE AREA OF 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST SHOWERY CUMULUS CLOUDS COVERS NIIHAU...AND 
EXTENDS OFFSHORE TO THE SOUTH AND WEST. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW 
CLOUDS COVER THE INTERIOR OF KAUAI. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER THE 
SLOPES OF THE WAIANAE AND KOOLAU RANGES ON OAHU. BROKEN LOW CLOUDS 
COVER THE INTERIOR OF MOLOKAI AND LANAI. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW 
CLOUDS ALSO COVER THE WEST MAUI MOUNTAINS...AND LOWER SLOPES OF 
HALEAKALA BELOW 7000 FT. 

ON THE BIG ISLAND...BROKEN LOW CLOUDS COVER WINDWARD SECTIONS FROM 
NORTH KOHALA TO KAU DISTRICTS BELOW 9000 FT...AND EXTEND 20 MILES 
OFFSHORE TO THE NORTHEAST. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS COVER KAU 
DISTRICT BELOW 10000 FT...AND NORTH AND SOUTH KONA DISTRICTS BELOW 
5000 FT. THESE CLOUDS EXTEND 15 MILES OFFSHORE TO THE WEST. 
SCATTERED TO BROKEN CLOUDS COVER THE REST OF NORTH KONA DISTRICT UP 
TO 9000 FT...AND ALSO LEEWARD SECTIONS OF NORTH AND SOUTH KOHALA 
DISTRICTS. 

$$

BRAVENDER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.