Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 23:24:56 -0600

918 
ATHW40 PHFO 170524
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC WED NOV 17 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC NOVEMBER 17 2010

TO THE NORTHWEST...A CLOUD BAND ASSOCIATED WITH A SERIES OF FRONTS 
EXTENDED ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS WITHIN 75 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 
20N 180 TO 22N 176W TO 25N 166W TO 30N 162W AND FURTHER NORTH. THIS 
FEATURE CONSISTED MAINLY OF DENSE LOW TO MIDDLE CLOUD LAYERS 
FRAGMENTING INTO MARINE STRATOCUMULI...THOUGH ADDITIONAL MIDDLE TO 
HIGH CLOUD LAYERS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS FEATURE SPREAD UP TO ABOUT 
350 MILES FURTHER SOUTHEAST FROM IT BETWEEN 165W AND 159W. ISOLATED 
EMBEDDED TOWERING CUMULI AND PROBABLE THUNDERSTORMS ROSE THROUGH THE 
LOWER CLOUDS WITHIN THE CURVE FROM 30N 163W TO 24N 168W TO 17N 164W 
TO 27N 159W TO 30N 159W. CLOUD COVER NORTHWEST OF THE BAND CONSISTED 
MAINLY OF COLD-AIR CUMULI...THOUGH A SECONDARY CLOUD BAND 
FRAGMENTING INTO COLD-AIR CUMULI WAS PRESENT WITHIN 90 MILES OF THE 
CURVE FROM 28N 180 TO 28N 175W TO 30N 169W.

WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOWED AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE IN THE UPPER 
ATMOSPHERE TO THE EAST NORTHEAST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. 
LAYERED HIGH TO MIDDLE CLOUDS WRAPPING COUNTER-CLOCKWISE AROUND THIS 
FEATURE PARTLY TO MOSTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES NORTHEAST OF THE 
CURVE FROM 30N 143W TO 28N 146W TO 25N 144W TO 26N 140W.

TO THE SOUTH...LIGHT THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN THE ITCZ 
BETWEEN 14N AND 09N...ALMOST ENTIRELY EAST OF 150W. LAYERED MIDDLE 
TO HIGH DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM THIS AND EARLIER CONVECTION MOSTLY TO 
COMPLETELY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES EAST OF THE CURVE FROM 22N 140W 
TO 09N 151W TO 08N 140W.

OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS CONSISTED MAINLY OF A 
LAYER OF MARINE STRATUS BREAKING UP INTO STRATOCUMULI AS IT 
APPROACHED FROM THE NORTHEAST. THE NEARLY SOLID OVERCAST WAS LIMITED 
TO NORTHEAST OF THE CURVE FROM 30N 150W TO 26N 147W TO 25N 140W... 
BUT ARCS OF STRATOCUMULI REACHED AS FAR SOUTHWEST AS THE CURVE FROM 
30N 154W TO 24N 150W TO 23N 140W. INDIVIDUAL STRATOCUMULUS AND 
CUMULUS FRAGMENTS OCCURRED FURTHER SOUTHWEST AS WELL. THESE CLOUDS 
GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 9000 FEET...AND MOVED TOWARD 
THE SOUTHWEST AT AROUND 15 MILES AN HOUR.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...MIDDLE TO HIGH CLOUD LAYERS 
ASSOCIATED WITH THE FRONTAL CLOUD BAND OBSCURED KAUAI COUNTY 
COMPLETELY...AND OAHU AND MOLOKAI PARTLY. OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER 
CONSISTED MOSTLY OF AFTERNOON CUMULUS BUILDUPS AND THEIR LAYERED 
DEBRIS CLOUDS OVER HIGHER TERRAIN INLAND...THOUGH A FEW MARINE 
CUMULI AND STRATOCUMULI ALSO MOVED ASHORE ALONG SLOPES FACING 
NORTHEAST. AREAS WITH THE LEAST CLOUD COVER WERE LIMITED MAINLY TO 
SOUTHEAST OAHU...COASTAL MOLOKAI...NORTHWEST AND SOUTHEAST LANAI... 
THE CENTRAL ISTHMUS OF MAUI...THE SUMMIT OF HALEAKALA ON MAUI...AND 
THE SUMMITS OF MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA ON THE BIG ISLAND. THESE 
LOWER CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 5000 TO 6000 FEET. RADAR 
DATA FROM NEAR THE ISLANDS SHOWED HEAVY SHOWERS OFFSHORE TO THE 
SOUTH OF NIIHAU...AND SCATTERED SHOWERS OVER THE CENTRAL KOOLAU 
RANGE ON OAHU AND NEAR VOLCANO ON THE BIG ISLAND...BUT ISOLATED 
SHOWERS AT MOST ELSEWHERE.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.