Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 06:23:46 -0600

036 
ATHW40 PHFO 171223
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC WED NOV 17 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC NOVEMBER 17 2010

TO THE NORTHWEST...A NEARLY STATIONARY CLOUD BAND ASSOCIATED WITH A 
FRONT EXTENDED ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS WITHIN 60 MILES OF THE CURVE 
FROM 20N 180 TO 25N 165W TO 30N 162W AND FURTHER NORTH. THIS FEATURE 
CONSISTED MOSTLY OF DENSE LOW TO MIDDLE CLOUD LAYERS FRAGMENTING 
INTO MARINE STRATOCUMULI. CLOUD COVER NORTHWEST OF THIS BAND 
CONSISTED MAINLY OF COLD-AIR CUMULI...THOUGH STREAKS OF THIN HIGH 
CLOUD LAYERS PASSED ON A JET STREAM OVERHEAD.

A NEARLY STATIONARY BAND OF DEEP LAYERED CLOUDS PRECEDED THE MAIN 
FRONTAL CLOUD BAND NORTH OF THE CURVE FROM 30N 162W TO 24N 162W TO 
19N 164W TO 18N 163W TO 27N 156W TO 30N 156W. SCATTERED EMBEDDED 
TOWERING CUMULI AND PROBABLE THUNDERSTORMS ROSE THROUGH THE 
SURROUNDING CLOUD LAYERS.

WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOWED AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE IN THE UPPER 
ATMOSPHERE TO THE NORTHEAST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. LAYERED 
HIGH TO MIDDLE CLOUDS WRAPPING COUNTER-CLOCKWISE AROUND THIS FEATURE 
PARTLY TO MOSTLY OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES NORTHEAST OF THE CURVE FROM 
30N 143W TO 28N 144W TO 26N 143W TO 28N 140W.

TO THE SOUTH...LIGHT THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN THE ITCZ 
BETWEEN 12N AND 07N...MOSTLY EAST OF 154W. LAYERED MIDDLE TO HIGH 
DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM THIS AND EARLIER CONVECTION MOSTLY TO COMPLETELY 
OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES EAST OF THE CURVE FROM 22N 140W TO 09N 154W 
TO 08N 146W TO 11N 140W.

OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS CONSISTED MAINLY OF A 
LAYER OF MARINE STRATUS BREAKING UP INTO STRATOCUMULI AS IT 
APPROACHED FROM THE NORTHEAST. THE NEARLY SOLID OVERCAST WAS LIMITED 
TO NORTHEAST OF THE CURVE FROM 30N 147W TO 25N 144W TO 23N 140W... 
BUT ARCS OF STRATOCUMULI REACHED AS FAR SOUTHWEST AS THE CURVE FROM 
30N 156W TO 24N 151W TO 16N 145W TO 18N 140W. INDIVIDUAL 
STRATOCUMULUS AND CUMULUS FRAGMENTS OCCURRED FURTHER SOUTHWEST AS 
WELL. THESE CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 9000 FEET... 
AND MOVED TOWARD THE WEST SOUTHWEST AT AROUND 15 MILES AN HOUR.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...MIDDLE TO HIGH CLOUD LAYERS 
ASSOCIATED WITH THE FRONTAL CLOUD BAND PARTLY OBSCURED KAUAI COUNTY 
AND OAHU. OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER CONSISTED MOSTLY OF MARINE CUMULI 
AND STRATOCUMULI MOVING ASHORE ALONG SLOPES FACING NORTHEAST... 
THOUGH LAYERED DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM AFTERNOON CUMULUS BUILDUPS OVER 
HIGHER TERRAIN ON TUESDAY STILL LINGERED IN PLACES...ESPECIALLY 
ALONG LOWER TO MIDDLE SLOPES OF SOUTH KOHALA DISTRICT ON THE BIG 
ISLAND. THESE LOWER CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 8000 
FEET. RADAR DATA FROM NEAR THE ISLANDS SHOWED SCATTERED SHOWERS OVER 
THE EAST TIP OF MAUI...AND INDIVIDUAL HEAVY SHOWERS OFFSHORE TO THE 
SOUTHWEST OF NIIHAU AND SOUTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...BUT ISOLATED 
LIGHT SHOWERS AT MOST ELSEWHERE.

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.