Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 12:43:27 -0600

185 
ATHW40 PHFO 171843
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC WED NOV 17 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC NOVEMBER 17 2010

A BROAD UPPER LEVEL TROUGH IS LOCATED ALONG THE NORTHERN BORDER OF 
THE AREA BETWEEN 160W AND THE DATELINE WITH A STRONG UPPER LEVEL JET 
NOSING INTO THE AREA NORTH OF 25N WEST OF 175W TO THE WEST OF A FAST 
MOVING UPPER LEVEL SHORTWAVE TROUGH. AN UPPER RIDGE IS LOCATED OVER 
THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS WITH AN UPPER LOW CENTERED AROUND 800 
MILES NORTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. THE WATER VAPOR IMAGERY LOOPS 
SHOW THE UPPER LEVEL FEATURES A MOVING LITTLE EAST OF 160W...AS A 
BLOCKING PATTERN EXISTS IN THE EASTERN PACIFIC.

A 250 MILE WIDE BAND OF LAYERED CLOUDS IS CENTERED ALONG A LINE 
FROM 18N162W TO 25N160W TO 30N160W...CROSSING WITHIN 150 MILES WEST 
OF KAUAI. SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS WITH TOPS TO 48000 FEET ARE 
EMBEDDED WITHIN THIS CLOUD BAND. THIS CLOUD BAND IS PROGRESSING EAST 
AT A SLOW PACE...AT ABOUT 10 MPH. ANOTHER 50 TO 100 MILE WIDE CLOUD 
BAND CONSISTING OF CUMULUS AND TOWERING CUMULUS IS POSITIONED ALONG 
A COLD FRONT FROM 27N162W TO 23N168W...MOVING EAST AT 10 TO 15 MPH. 
AN AREA OF LAYERED MID TO HIGH CLOUDS WITH ISOLATED EMBEDDED 
THUNDERSTORMS IS LOCATED ALONG THE INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE 
FROM 10N158W TO 12N148W...THEN NORTHEASTWARD TO NEAR 16N140W. A FEW 
THIN CIRRUS IS FOUND NEAR THE UPPER TROUGH 800 MILES NORTHEAST OF 
THE BIG ISLAND.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...A VEIL OF HIGH CLOUDS IS COVERING 
KAUAI AND NIIHAU AND THE SURROUNDING COASTAL WATERS. LOCAL RADAR 
IMAGERY REVEALS THAT A SHIELD OF RAIN COVERS THE COASTAL WATERS 
BETWEEN 20 AND 40 MILES WEST OF BARKING SANDS ON KAUAI. 
ELSEWHERE...BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE FOUND OVER THE WINDWARD COAST AND 
SLOPES OF MAUI AND THE KONA AND KOHALA COAST AND SLOPES OF THE BIG 
ISLAND FROM HONAUNAU NORTH TO UPOLU POINT. MOVEMENT OF THE LOW CLOUD 
FEATURES OVER THE STATE IS TO NORTHWEST AT 10 MPH OR LESS.

$$

BRENCHLEY

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.