Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 18:31:45 -0600

662 
ATHW40 PHFO 180031
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC THU NOV 18 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC NOVEMBER 18 2010

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...A VEIL OF THICK HIGH CLOUDS IS 
COVERING KAUAI AND NIIHAU AND THE SURROUNDING COASTAL WATERS 
OBSCURING THE LOW CLOUD FEATURES. THIN AND WISPY CIRRUS IS FURTHER 
EAST OVER THE REST OF THE ISLAND CHAIN. THESE HIGH CLOUDS ARE 
DRIFTING EAST...BUT ARE ALSO THINNING AND DISSIPATING AS THEY DO. 
LOCAL RADAR IMAGERY AND SURFACE OBSERVATIONS REVEALS THAT SCATTERED 
SHOWERS AND BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE LOCATED OVER THE WESTERN COAST OF 
KAUAI...AND A SHIELD OF INCREASINGLY INTENSE RAIN EXTENDS FROM 
WESTERN KAUAI OUT OVER 40 MILES TO THE WEST. ELSEWHERE...BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS ARE FOUND OVER THE INTERIOR OF ALL OTHER ISLANDS...WITH 
CLOUD TOPS BETWEEN 9000 AND 11000 FEET. MOVEMENT OF THE LOW CLOUD 
FEATURES OVER THE STATE IS TOWARDS THE NORTHWEST AT 10 MPH OR LESS.

ON THE LARGE SCALE ACROSS THE CENTRAL PACIFIC...A BROAD UPPER LEVEL 
TROUGH IS LOCATED ALONG THE NORTHERN BORDER OF THE AREA BETWEEN 160W 
AND THE DATELINE WITH A STRONG NORTHWESTERLY UPPER LEVEL JET NOSING 
INTO THE AREA NORTH OF 24N WEST OF 169W TO THE WEST OF A FAST MOVING 
UPPER LEVEL SHORTWAVE TROUGH. A NORTH TO SOUTH ORIENTED UPPER RIDGE 
AXIS IS LOCATED ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...WITH AN UPPER 
LOW CENTERED AROUND 850 MILES NORTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND. THE WATER 
VAPOR IMAGERY LOOP SHOW THE UPPER LEVEL FEATURES ARE MOVING LITTLE 
EAST OF 160W...AS A BLOCKING PATTERN EXISTS IN THE EASTERN PACIFIC.

A 250 MILE WIDE BAND OF LAYERED CLOUDS IS CENTERED ALONG A LINE 
FROM 18N162W TO 25N160W TO 30N158W...CROSSING WITHIN 120 MILES WEST 
OF KAUAI. SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS WITH TOPS TO 48000 FEET ARE 
EMBEDDED WITHIN THIS CLOUD BAND. THIS CLOUD BAND IS PROGRESSING EAST 
AT A SLOW PACE...AT ABOUT 20 MPH AT 30N...BUT IS NEARLY STATIONARY 
AT 18N. ANOTHER 50 TO 100 MILE WIDE CLOUD BAND CONSISTING OF CUMULUS 
AND TOWERING CUMULUS IS POSITIONED ALONG A COLD FRONT FROM 30N160W 
TO 23N166W...MOVING EAST AT 10 TO 15 MPH. ANOTHER FRONTAL CLOUD BAND 
CONSISTING OF TOWERING CUMULUS WITH TOPS TO 20000 FEET AND LAYERED 
LOW CLOUDS ABOUT 70 MILES WIDE STRETCHES FROM 30N178W TO 27N180...OR 
ABOUT 40 MILES WEST OF MIDWAY ATOLL.

AN AREA OF LAYERED MID TO HIGH CLOUDS WITH ISOLATED EMBEDDED 
THUNDERSTORMS IS LOCATED ALONG THE INTERTROPICAL CONVERGENCE ZONE 
FROM 10N158W TO 12N148W...THEN NORTHEASTWARD TO NEAR 16N140W. A FEW 
THIN CIRRUS IS FOUND NEAR THE UPPER TROUGH 800 MILES NORTHEAST OF 
THE BIG ISLAND.

$$

BRENCHLEY

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.