Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 23:34:31 -0600

534 
ATHW40 PHFO 180534 CCA
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC THU NOV 18 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC NOVEMBER 18 2010

WATER VAPOR LOOPS AND SATELLITE DERIVED WINDS SHOW THE SOUTHERN END 
OF A BROAD UPPER LEVEL TROUGH IS LOCATED IN THE CENTRAL PACIFIC 
BASIN NORTH OF 22N AND WEST OF 160W. A STRONG NORTHWESTERLY UPPER 
LEVEL JET IS NOSING INTO THE AREA ALONG THE SOUTHWESTERN FLANK OF 
THIS LOW...NORTH OF 23N AND WEST OF 169W. A NORTH TO SOUTH ORIENTED 
UPPER RIDGE AXIS IS LOCATED ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...WITH 
AN UPPER LOW CENTERED 1010 MILES NORTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND MOVING 
FURTHER TO THE NORTHEAST AT 10 TO 15 MPH.

A 250 MILE WIDE BAND OF LAYERED CLOUDS IS CENTERED ALONG A LINE FROM 
13N164W TO 30N158W...CROSSING WITHIN 60 MILES WEST OF KAUAI. 
SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS WITH TOPS TO 41 KFT ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN THIS 
CLOUD BAND. THIS CLOUD BAND IS PROGRESSING EAST AT 10 MPH. ANOTHER 
50 TO 100 MILE WIDE CLOUD BAND CONSISTING OF CUMULUS AND TOWERING 
CUMULUS IS POSITIONED ALONG A COLD FRONT FROM 30N160W TO 
24N165W...MOVING EAST AT 10 TO 15 MPH. ANOTHER FRONTAL CLOUD BAND 
CONSISTING OF LOW CLOUDS ABOUT 150 MILES WIDE STRETCHES FROM 37N174W 
TO 29N175W TO 22N173E. LAYERED CLOUDS WITH EMBEDDED TOWERING CUMULUS 
CLOUDS WITH 30 KFT TOPS PERSIST ALONG THIS BAND NORTH OF 28N.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...A VEIL OF THICK HIGH CLOUDS IS 
COVERING KAUAI AND NIIHAU AND THE SURROUNDING COASTAL WATERS 
OBSCURING THE LOW CLOUD FEATURES. THIN AND WISPY CIRRUS ARE FURTHER 
EAST OVER OAHU AND MOLOKAI. THESE HIGH CLOUDS ARE DRIFTING 
EAST...BUT ARE ALSO THINNING AND DISSIPATING AS THEY DO. LOCAL RADAR 
IMAGERY REVEALS THAT NUMEROUS SHOWERS AND EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS 
EXTENDS FROM JUST OFF THE WEST COAST OF NIIHAU MOVING EAST TOWARDS 
KAUAI AND OAHU AT 10 MPH. ELSEWHERE...SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS 
ARE FOUND OVER THE INTERIOR OF ALL OTHER ISLANDS...WITH CLOUD TOPS 
AROUND 9 TO 10 KFT IN HEIGHT.

ITCZ CONVECTION IS SOMEWHAT LIMITED BETWEEN 06N AND 10N. ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS PERSIST WEST OF 176W CROSSING THE DATELINE. THE 
REMAINDER OF THE AREA IS COVERED WITH CIRRUS CLOUDS FROM DISSIPATED 
THUNDERSTORMS. A TROUGH WITH AN AXIS FROM 10N147W TO 24N135W AND IS 
PRODUCING A 350 MILE WIDE LINE OF SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS.  

$$

FOSTER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.