Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 06:44:35 -0600

749 
ATHW40 PHFO 181244
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC THU NOV 18 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC NOVEMBER 18 2010

WATER VAPOR LOOP AND SATELLITE DERIVED WINDS SHOW THE SOUTHERN END 
OF A BROAD UPPER LEVEL TROUGH LOCATED IN THE CENTRAL PACIFIC BASIN 
NORTH OF 23N AND WEST OF 158W. A STRONG NORTHWESTERLY UPPER LEVEL 
JET IS MOVING INTO THE AREA ALONG THE SOUTHWESTERN FLANK OF THIS 
LOW. A WEAK NORTH TO SOUTH ORIENTED UPPER RIDGE AXIS IS LOCATED JUST 
EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND MOVING EAST AT 10 MPH. AN UPPER LOW CENTERED 
1120 MILES NORTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND MOVING FURTHER TO THE 
NORTHEAST AT 10 TO 15 MPH.

A 130 MILE WIDE BAND OF LAYERED CLOUDS IS CENTERED ALONG A LINE FROM 
19N163W TO 31N157W. SCATTERED PRE-FRONTAL THUNDERSTORMS WITH 
TOWERING CUMULUS TOPS TO 37 KFT ARE EMBEDDED WITHIN THIS CLOUD BAND 
WHICH IS MOVING EAST AT 12 MPH. ANOTHER 80 MILE WIDE CLOUD BAND 
CONSISTING OF CUMULUS AND TOWERING CUMULUS IS POSITIONED ALONG A 
COLD FRONT FROM 30N160W TO 25N160W TO 22N164W WHICH IS ALSO 
TRAVELING EASTWARD AT THE SAME SPEED. ANOTHER FRONTAL CLOUD BAND 
CONSISTING ABOUT 200 MILES WIDE BAND OF CLOUDS STRETCHES FROM 
37N174W TO 30N172W TO 22N174E. LAYERED CLOUDS WITH EMBEDDED TOWERING 
CUMULUS CLOUDS WITH 35 KFT TOPS PERSIST ALONG THIS BAND NORTH OF 28N.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...A VEIL OF THICK LAYERED CLOUDS IS 
COVERING KAUAI AND NIIHAU AND THE SURROUNDING COASTAL WATERS 
OBSCURING THE LOW CLOUD FEATURES. THESE CLOUDS ARE MOVING ONTO OAHU 
AT THIS TIME.  LOCAL RADAR IMAGERY REVEALS SCATTERED SHOWERS AND 
EMBEDDED ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS COVERS KAUAI AND NIIHAU AND ARE 
CURRENTLY TRACKING EAST AT 10 TO 15 MPH TOWARDS OAHU. 
ELSEWHERE...SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS ARE FOUND OVER THE INTERIOR OF ALL 
OTHER MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...WITH CLOUD TOPS AROUND 9 TO 10 KFT IN 
HEIGHT.

ITCZ CONVECTION IS SOMEWHAT LIMITED BETWEEN 06N AND 10N. ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS PERSIST WEST OF 176W CROSSING THE DATELINE AND EAST OF 
145W. A TROUGH WITH AN AXIS FROM 10N155W TO 17N142W AND IS PRODUCING 
A 100 MILE WIDE LINE OF SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS.  

$$

FOSTER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.