Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 23:30:26 -0600

095 
ATHW40 PHFO 190530
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC FRI NOV 19 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC NOVEMBER 19 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A LONGWAVE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH WITH AN AXIS 
FROM 45N179E TO 33N164W TO 21N165W. WEST OF THE AXIS...A 140 MPH 
EAST TO WEST JET STREAK RUNNING ALONG THE SOUTHERN FLANK OF THE 
UPPER LOW ACCORDING TO SATELLITE DERIVED WINDS. A WIDE BAND OF 
BROKEN CIRRUS CLOUDS ACCOMPANY THE JET WHICH MAINLY COVERS BETWEEN 
24N AND 38N AND WEST OF 172W. 

SHORTWAVE ENERGY PERSISTS DIRECTLY ON THE EASTERN SIDE OF THE BASE 
OF THE TROUGH WHICH IS CURRENTLY MOVING ACROSS KAUAI AND JUST NORTH 
OF OAHU. EAST OF THE TROUGH...A WEAK RIDGE PERSISTS WITH AN AXIS 
FROM 34N150W TO 24N150W. ANOTHER TROUGH THEN IS LOCATED EAST OF THAT 
RIDGE FROM 35N140W TO 22N140W. ALL OF THESE UPPER LEVEL FEATURES ARE 
IN A LINE BETWEEN 20N TO 40N AND MOVING EAST AT 20 TO 30 MPH.

A COLD FRONT EXTENDS FROM 30N156W TO 23N158W TO 20N168W AND IS 
CURRENTLY ADVANCING EASTWARD AT 13 MPH ACROSS KAUAI AND NIIHAU THIS 
EVENING. ALONG THE FRONT...A 150 MILE WIDE LINE OF THUNDERSTORMS AND 
HEAVY SHOWERS WITH CLOUD TOPS TO 40 KFT IS LOCATED OVER KAUAI AND 
NIIHAU AND SURROUNDING WATERS. THESE SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ARE 
MOVING ACROSS THE KAUAI CHANNEL AND ADVANCING TOWARDS OAHU AT THIS 
TIME. ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE FRONT...CIRRUS CLOUDS MOVING NORTHEAST 
BEHIND THE ADVANCING THUNDERSTORMS COVER AN AREA 250 TO 350 MILES 
WEST OF THE FRONT DUE TO WINDS ALOFT AND STORM TOP BLOW OFF. CLOUDS 
AROUND KAUAI ARE OVERCAST AND LAYERED WITH EMBEDDED TOWERING CUMULUS 
AND CUMULONIMBUS. CLOUDS ACROSS OAHU ARE OVERCAST CUMULUS AND 
LAYERED. ACROSS THE EASTERN PORTION OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS 
FROM MOLOKAI TO THE BIG ISLAND...BROKEN CUMULUS CLOUD BUILD UPS ARE 
FORMED ALONG THE REMAINDER OF THE ISLAND INTERIORS AND COASTLINES. 
BREAKS IN THE CLOUDS DO OCCUR AT THE HALEAKALA AND BIG ISLAND 
SUMMITS ABOVE 9 KFT IN ELEVATION...THOUGH SCATTERED CLOUDS DO 
PERSIST ABOVE THIS HEIGHT OVER THE BIG ISLAND. WATERS AROUND THE 
STATE EAST OF MOLOKAI ARE FEW TO SCATTERED THIS EVENING.

ELSEWHERE...A SLOW MOVING COLD FRONT RUNS FROM 31N164W TO 25N174W TO 
21N176E. THIS FRONT IS CHARACTERIZED BY A 150 MILE WIDE BAND OF 
OVERCAST STRATUS CLOUDS. 

$$

FOSTER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.