Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 12:30:40 -0600

955 
ATHW40 PHFO 191830
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC FRI NOV 19 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC NOVEMBER 19 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWED A NARROW BUT WELL-DEFINED UPPER LEVEL 
TROUGH IMMEDIATELY WEST OF KAUAI THIS MORNING.  THE TROUGH AXIS 
STRETCHED FROM 30N 158W TO 20N 162W.  THE TROUGH APPEARED TO BE 
ACCELERATING EASTWARD IN THE VICINITY OF KAUAI AT 25 TO 30 MILES AN 
HOUR.  

THE UPPER TROUGH WAS LYING OVER A WEAK...SOMEWHAT DECAYED FRONTAL 
REMNANT.  THE INSTABILITY FROM THE UPPER TROUGH AND THE PRESENCE OF 
THE MOIST FRONTAL BOUNDARY BELOW IT WERE THE INGREDIENTS FOR THE 
FORMATION OF ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS AROUND THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. 

A 275 MILES WIDE BAND OF LAYERED CLOUDS CONTAINING ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS WAS CENTERED ALONG A LINE THROUGH 30N 154W TO NEAR 24N 
156W.  THUS MOST OF THIS CLOUDINESS REMAINED NORTH OF THE ISLANDS.  
CLOSER TO THE ISLANDS...A FEW ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WERE MAINLY 
LOCATED 110 MILES SOUTHWEST OF HONOLULU...160 MILES SOUTHWEST OF 
KAUAI...AND 65 MILES NORTHEAST OF MAUI.  THE STORMS WERE BEING 
GUIDED EAST BY THE UPPER TROUGH. 

THE WEAK FRONTAL BOUNDARY IN THE AREA WAS DIFFICULT TO IDENTIFY VIA 
SATELLITE IMAGERY.  BUT ONE NOTABLE LOW LEVEL FEATURE WAS A WEAK LOW 
LEVEL VORTEX OR CYCLONIC LOW CLOUD CIRCULATION ABOUT 75 MILES 
EAST-NORTHEAST OF HONOLULU OR 40 MILES NORTH OF EAST MOLOKAI. 

AWAY FROM THE MORE SIGNIFICANT THUNDERSTORM AREAS...ONLY A FEW 
PATCHES OF SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS PREVAILED OVER THE WATERS 
IMMEDIATELY SURROUNDING THE STATE.  

A 8 AM...SKIES WERE MOSTLY SUNNY OVER KAUAI...MOLOKAI AND THE BIG 
ISLAND THOUGH SOME OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS WERE NOTED ALONG THE WESTERN 
SLOPES OF THE BIG ISLAND.  MAUI COUNTY ISLANDS HAD A MIX OF PARTLY 
CLOUDY TO MOSTLY SUNNY SKIES.  OAHU WAS THE CLOUDIEST ISLAND IN THE 
BUNCH DUE MAINLY FROM THICK CIRRUS CLOUDS FLOWING OFF OF THE STORMS 
TO THE SOUTHWEST.  

$$

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.