Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 12:19:56 -0600

401 
ATHW40 PHFO 211819
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC SUN NOV 21 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC NOVEMBER 21 2010

A COMPLEX AND HIGHLY AMPLIFIED PATTERN ACROSS THE NORTH PACIFIC IS 
PRODUCING A WEAK TRADE WIND FLOW OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS THIS 
MORNING.

A WEST TO EAST FLOWING JET STREAM FLOWING ALONG 30N IN THE WESTERN 
NORTH PACIFIC ABRUPTLY TURNS NORTHWARD NEAR 170W AS IT SLAMS INTO A 
STRONG UPPER LEVEL RIDGE CENTERED ALONG 150W. HOWEVER...A SMALL 
AMOUNT OF THE ENERGY FROM THE JET STREAM IS UNDERCUTTING THE UPPER 
RIDGE...SPILLING OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...AND DROPPING INTO 
A CUTOFF UPPER LEVEL LOW CENTERED ABOUT 375 MILES NORTHEAST OF MAUI 
NEAR 24N151W.

THE UPPER LEVEL LOW IS DRIFTING TO THE NORTHEAST AND IS SUPPORTING 
A NEARLY STATIONARY...LOW LEVEL TROUGH ALONG 25N151W AND 17N151W. 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS ARE FOUND WITHIN 300 MILES EAST OF 
THE TROUGH...WHILE ISOLATED EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS RISE TO 46 KFT.

TO THE WEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...A FRONT IS MOVING ALONG 
THE EASTERN END OF THE ZONAL JET STREAM. A RAGGED...BROKEN...150 
MILE WIDE BAND OF BROKEN CLOUDS MARKING THE FRONT IS CURRENTLY 
LOCATED 750 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI AND IS TRAVELLING TO THE EAST 
AROUND 25 TO 30 MPH. THIS FEATURE RUNS FROM 30N168W TO 24N173W AND 
CONTAINS ISOLATED...EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS RISING TO 46 KFT. A 
PREFRONTAL CONVERGENCE BAND 325 MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI IS ALSO
PRODUCING ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WITH TOPS TO 43 KFT WITHIN 50 MILES 
OF A LINE FROM 30N163W AND 24N164W.

THE SYSTEMS TO THE WEST AND EAST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE 
HOLDING SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE FAR NORTH NORTHEAST OF THE AREA... 
RESULTING IN A WEAK TRADE WIND FLOW. FEW TO SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS 
NEAR THE ISLANDS ARE TRAVELING FROM THE EAST AROUND 10 MPH... 
PROMOTING OVERNIGHT LAND BREEZES AND CLEAR LEEWARD SKIES. SMALL 
PATCHES OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ARE BANKED ALONG WINDWARD SECTIONS... 
WITH THE LEAST AMOUNT OF CLOUD COVER FOUND OVER THE BIG ISLAND. IN 
ADDITION...WISPS OF HIGH CLOUDS ARE PASSING OVER THE STATE AS A 
PORTION OF THE ABOVE MENTIONED JET STREAM SPILLS OVER THE REGION. 
SATELLITE-DERIVED PRECIPITABLE WATER VALUES OVER AND JUST UPWIND OF 
THE ISLANDS ARE RUNNING BETWEEN 1.1 TO 1.2 INCHES...SLIGHTLY BELOW 
NOVEMBER NORMS.

$$

DWROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.