Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 18:20:57 -0600

687 
ATHW40 PHFO 220020
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC MON NOV 22 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC NOVEMBER 22 2010

A COMPLEX AND HIGHLY AMPLIFIED PATTERN ACROSS THE NORTH PACIFIC 
CONTINUES TO PRODUCE A WEAK TRADE WIND FLOW OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS.

A WEST TO EAST FLOWING JET STREAM FLOWING ALONG 30N IN THE WESTERN 
NORTH PACIFIC ABRUPTLY TURNS NORTHWARD NEAR 170W AS IT SLAMS INTO A 
STRONG UPPER LEVEL RIDGE CENTERED ALONG 150W. HOWEVER...A SMALL 
AMOUNT OF THE ENERGY FROM THE JET STREAM IS UNDERCUTTING THE UPPER 
RIDGE...SPILLING OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...AND DROPPING INTO 
A CUTOFF UPPER LEVEL LOW CENTERED ABOUT 375 MILES NORTHEAST OF THE 
BIG ISLAND NEAR 23N150W.

THE UPPER LEVEL LOW IS DRIFTING TO THE EAST AND IS SUPPORTING A LOW 
LEVEL TROUGH ALONG 29N152W...24N151W...AND 18N151W THAT IS DRIFTING 
TO THE WEST. TO THE EAST OF THE TROUGH...A 400 MILE WIDE AREA OF 
BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS IS CENTERED ALONG 26N149W... 
20N146W...AND 14N146W...WITH ISOLATED...EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS 
RISING TO 43 KFT.

TO THE WEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...A FRONT IS MOVING ALONG 
THE EASTERN END OF THE ZONAL JET STREAM. THE FRONT IS MARKED BY A 
225 MILE WIDE BAND OF BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS WITH EMBEDDED 
THUNDERSTORMS RISING TO 44 KFT ALONG 30N167W TO 26N171W. THE FRONT 
NARROWS AND CONTINUES TO THE WEST TO 23N180 AS A 100 MILE WIDE BAND 
OF BROKEN LOW CLOUDS. THE FRONT IS TRAVELLING TO THE EAST NEAR 25 
MPH. PREFRONTAL THUNDERSTORM COVERAGE HAS DIMINISHED THIS AFTERNOON 
BUT PERSISTS BETWEEN THE FRONT AND 163W NORTH OF 24N...ABOUT 300 
MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI.

THE SYSTEMS TO THE WEST AND EAST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE 
HOLDING SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE FAR NORTH NORTHEAST OF THE AREA... 
RESULTING IN A WEAK TRADE WIND FLOW. FEW TO SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS 
NEAR KAUAI ARE TRAVELING FROM THE EAST AROUND 10 MPH...BACKING OUT 
OF THE NORTHEAST ACROSS THE REST OF THE STATE. UNDER THE WEAK 
FLOW...AFTERNOON SEA BREEZES HAVE PRODUCED BROKEN TO LOCALLY 
OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS OVER LEEWARD TERRAIN ON ALL ISLANDS. CLOUD COVER 
ACROSS WINDWARD TERRAIN IS SLIGHTLY LESS EXTENSIVE...THOUGH BROKEN 
LOW CLOUDS ARE FOUND ACROSS MOST AREAS. MIDDAY... SATELLITE 
DERIVED...PRECIPITABLE WATER ESTIMATES OVER AND JUST UPSTREAM OF THE 
ISLANDS ARE RUNNING BETWEEN 1 TO 1.1 INCHES...SLIGHTLY BELOW 
NOVEMBER NORMS.

$$

DWROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.