Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 12:26:39 -0600

134 
ATHW40 PHFO 221826
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1830 UTC MON NOV 22 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1800 UTC NOVEMBER 22 2010

AN EXTREMELY HIGH AMPLITUDE JET STREAM OVER THE CENTRAL AND EASTERN 
NORTH PACIFIC IS PRODUCING A WEAK TRADE WIND FLOW OVER THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...LEADING TO OVERNIGHT LAND BREEZES AND MOSTLY 
CLEAR SKIES THIS MORNING.

THE JET STREAM IS FLOWING OUT OF THE WESTERN PACIFIC INTO AN UPPER 
TROUGH ALONG 30N...ABRUPTLY BOTTOMING OUT AND TURNING NORTH NEAR 
160W AS IT SLAMS INTO AN UPPER LEVEL RIDGE CENTERED ALONG 155W. THE 
JET ROUNDS THE TOP OF THE UPPER RIDGE IN ALASKA THEN DIVES INTO A 
BROAD AND DEEP UPPER TROUGH CENTERED OVER THE EASTERN PACIFIC AND 
WESTERN U.S.

A SMALL PORTION OF THE JET STREAM ENERGY FROM THE EAST PAC UPPER 
TROUGH IS CARVING OUT A WEAK UPPER LEVEL TROUGH JUST EAST OF THE 
STATE. THIS UPPER TROUGH RUNS ALONG 30N144W TO A WEAKENING UPPER 
LEVEL LOW CENTERED NEAR 23N145W TO 17N156W. THE UPPER LOW IS FILLING 
AS IT MOVES TO THE EAST AT 15 MPH. BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS ARE FOUND 
ALONG THE EASTERN FLANK OF THE UPPER LOW FROM 26N TO 20N EAST OF 
146W. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WITH TOPS TO 36 KFT ARE FLARING TO THE 
SOUTHWEST OF THE UPPER LOW AS FAR AWAY AS 21N150W. A WEAK SURFACE 
TROUGH IS DRIFTING WESTWARD FROM THIS AREA ALONG 22N152W TO 
20N152W...ABOUT 200 MILES NORTHEAST OF THE BIG ISLAND.

THE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH TO THE WEST IS SUPPORTING A FRONT 500 MILES 
NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. THE FRONT IS MARKED BY A 200 MILE-WIDE BAND OF 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ALONG 30N164W AND 26N171W. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS 
RISE TO 47 KFT ALONG THE LEADING EDGE OF THE FRONT. TO THE WEST OF 
THE FRONT...HIGH CLOUDS ARE STREAMING OVER MIDWAY ATOLL FROM A 
SYSTEM FARTHER WEST.

THE FRONT NORTHWEST OF KAUAI AND THE SURFACE TROUGH NORTHEAST OF THE 
BIG ISLAND HAVE WEAKENED THE PRESSURE GRADIENT OVER THE STATE... 
LEADING TO A WEAK TRADE WIND FLOW NEAR THE ISLANDS. FEW TO SCATTERED 
LOW CLOUDS NORTH OF THE ISLANDS ARE TRAVELLING FROM THE EAST NEAR 10 
MPH...LIGHT ENOUGH TO ALLOW LAND BREEZES TO PERSIST THIS MORNING. AS 
A RESULT...SKIES OVER THE ISLANDS ARE MOSTLY CLEAR...WITH THE 
EXCEPTION OF FEW LOW CLOUDS OVER WINDWARD KAUAI AND OAHU.

$$

DWROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.