Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 18:20:13 -0600

734 
ATHW40 PHFO 230020
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0030 UTC TUE NOV 23 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0000 UTC NOVEMBER 23 2010

AN EXTREMELY HIGH AMPLITUDE JET STREAM OVER THE CENTRAL AND EASTERN 
NORTH PACIFIC CONTINUES TO PRODUCE A WEAK TRADE WIND FLOW OVER THE 
MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...LEADING SEA BREEZES AND AN INCREASE IN LOW 
CLOUDS OVER ISLAND TERRAIN THIS AFTERNOON.

THE JET STREAM IS FLOWING OUT OF THE WESTERN PACIFIC INTO AN UPPER 
TROUGH ALONG 30N...ABRUPTLY BOTTOMING OUT AND TURNING NORTH NEAR 
160W AS IT SLAMS INTO AN UPPER LEVEL RIDGE CENTERED ALONG 154W. THE 
JET ROUNDS THE TOP OF THE UPPER RIDGE IN ALASKA THEN DIVES INTO A 
BROAD AND DEEP UPPER TROUGH CENTERED OVER THE EASTERN PACIFIC AND 
WESTERN U.S.

A SMALL PORTION OF THE JET STREAM ENERGY FROM THE EAST PAC UPPER 
TROUGH IS DROPPING INTO A WEAK UPPER LEVEL TROUGH JUST EAST OF THE 
STATE. THIS UPPER TROUGH RUNS ALONG 30N142W TO A WEAKENING UPPER 
LEVEL LOW CENTERED NEAR 23N144W TO 16N153W. THE UPPER LOW IS FILLING 
AS IT MOVES TO THE EAST NORTHEAST AT 15 MPH. A THINNING MASS OF 
BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS ALONG THE EASTERN FLANK OF THE UPPER LOW IS 
FOUND FROM 26N TO 20N EAST OF 144W. A WEAK SURFACE TROUGH THAT 
ORIGINATED FROM THIS AREA IS DRIFTING WESTWARD ALONG 23N153W TO 
19N152W...ABOUT 175 MILES EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND.

THE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH TO THE WEST IS SUPPORTING A FRONT 425 MILES 
NORTHWEST OF KAUAI. THE FRONT IS MARKED BY A 250 MILE-WIDE BAND OF 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS ALONG 30N162W...27N166W...AND 25N171W...NARROWING 
TO 100 MILES WIDE TO 24N180. TO THE EAST OF 166W...ISOLATED 
THUNDERSTORMS RISE TO 47000 FT ALONG THE LEADING EDGE OF THE 
FRONT...WHICH IS MOVING TO THE EAST AROUND 18 MPH. THE WESTERN END 
OF THE FRONT IS NEARLY STATIONARY.

THE FRONT NORTHWEST OF KAUAI AND THE SURFACE TROUGH NORTHEAST OF THE 
BIG ISLAND HAVE WEAKENED THE PRESSURE GRADIENT OVER THE STATE... 
LEADING TO A WEAK TRADE WIND FLOW NEAR THE ISLANDS. FEW TO SCATTERED 
LOW CLOUDS NORTH OF THE ISLANDS ARE TRAVELLING FROM THE EAST 
NORTHEAST AT LESS THAN 10 MPH...LIGHT ENOUGH TO ALLOW SEA BREEZES TO 
TAKE OVER ON LAND. AS A RESULT...BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS HAVE 
DEVELOPED ALONG ALL SLOPES BELOW 10000 FT THIS AFTERNOON.

$$

DWROE

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.