Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 06:41:00 -0600

396 
ATHW40 PHFO 241240
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC WED NOV 24 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC NOVEMBER 24 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS THE CENTRAL PACIFIC DOMINATED BY AN UPPER 
LEVEL RIDGE. THE RIDGE AXIS EXTENDS FROM 38N155W TO 19N169W AND THE 
EFFECTS COVER AN AREA FROM 30N TO 10N AND 140W TO 173W. TO THE WEST 
OF THIS RIDGE IS AN EASTWARD MOVING DEEP UPPER LEVEL TROUGH. A COLD 
FRONT IS REFLECTED AT THE SURFACE ALONG A LINE FROM 34N171W TO 
22N173E. THE FRONT AND UPPER TROUGH IS PRODUCING A LINE OF 
THUNDERSTORMS WITHIN A 400 MILE WIDE BAND ALONG THE COLD FRONT LINE. 
THE STORMS ARE TRAVELING NORTHEASTWARD AT 15 MPH. THE HIGHEST CLOUD 
TOPS ARE NEAR 52 KFT WITH THESE STORMS AND HAVE OVERALL STRENGTHENED 
OVER THE PAST SIX HOURS. A SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST ORIENTED JET 
STREAM RUNS BETWEEN THE UPPER RIDGE AND THE UPPER TROUGH. 

WITH THE UPPER RIDGE PARKED OVERHEAD...INFRARED SATELLITE SHOWS 
SCATTERED TO BROKEN CUMULUS CLOUDS AROUND THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS 
EARLY THIS MORNING. OPEN-CELLED CUMULUS DOMINATE OVER MUCH OF THE 
WINDWARD WATERS WHILE THE LEEWARD WATERS HAVE PLUME CLOUDS COMING 
OFF MAINLY MAUI AND THE BIG ISLAND. LAND AREAS HAVE CLOUD BUILD UPS 
MOSTLY OVER WINDWARD AND MAUKA AREAS. RADAR IS TRACKING SCATTERED 
SHOWERS OVER WINDWARD SIDES OF THE ISLANDS AND ADJACENT COASTAL 
WATERS. MANY OF THE SHOWERS ARE CONCENTRATED ACROSS WINDWARD BIG 
ISLAND WHICH BECOME MORE DISPERSE THE FURTHER TO THE WEST.

FAR SOUTH OF THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...RELATIVELY WEAK AND WIDELY 
SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS ARE PRESENT ALONG THE ITCZ WITH TOPS NEAR 47 
KFT. MOST OF THIS ACTIVITY IS PRESENT BETWEEN 06N AND 10N.

$$

FOSTER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.