Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 23:32:58 -0600

121 
ATHW40 PHFO 260532
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC FRI NOV 26 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC NOVEMBER 26 2010

WATER VAPOR LOOP AND SATELLITE DERIVED WINDS INDICATE AN UPPER LEVEL 
LOW CENTERED AT 21N147W TRAVELING SOUTH-SOUTHWEST AT 10 MPH. LAYERED 
CLOUDS WITH EMBEDDED TOWERING CUMULUS /TCU/ AND CUMULONIMBUS /CB/ 
CLOUDS COVER THE SOUTHEASTERN FLANK OF THE LOW TO AROUND 700 MILES 
AWAY FROM THE CENTER. LIGHTNING DETECTION INSTRUMENTS HAVE PICKED UP 
POSITIVE STRIKES WITH THE EMBEDDED STORM CELLS AND TOPS EXTEND TO 45 
KFT IN HEIGHT.

ANOTHER UPPER LOW IN THE NORTH CENTRAL PACIFIC IS CENTERED AT 
37N174W AND IS NEARLY STACKED ON TOPS OF IT/S SURFACE REFLECTION AS 
THE LOW LEVEL CLOUD CIRCULATION CAN BE OBSERVED ON INFRARED 
SATELLITE. THE ASSOCIATED WEAKENING COLD FRONT IS OBSERVED FROM 
35N165W TO 25N172W CONSISTING OF A 225 MILE WIDE BAND OF LAYERED AND 
CIRRUS CLOUDS. CLOUDS FROM THE FRONT DO EXTEND FURTHER SOUTH THAN 
25N BUT ARE BEING PUSHED BACK WEST BY A SURFACE RIDGE. THE RIDGE 
EXTENDS FROM A HIGH CENTERED AT 33N147W AND RUNS ALONG A LINE TO 
29N162W TO 24N174W ACCORDING TO SATELLITE SCATTEROMETER DATA. CIRRUS 
CLOUDS ARE ALSO PASSING ON THE NORTH SIDE AN UPPER RIDGE WITH AN 
AXIS 
FROM 20N173W TO 11N173W.

THE MENTIONED SURFACE HIGH AND RIDGE ARE PRODUCING THE FRESH TO 
STRONG TRADE WINDS OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS THIS EVENING. 
WINDWARD COASTAL WATERS ARE DOMINATED WITH SCATTERED OPEN-CELLED 
CUMULUS CLOUDS AND ISOLATED SHOWERS. LOW CLOUDS UPSTREAM OF THE 
ISLANDS ARE MOVING FROM THE EAST AROUND 25 MPH. THESE CLOUDS ARE 
PUSHING ONTO WINDWARD AND MOUNTAIN PORTIONS OF THE ISLANDS...THROUGH 
CLOUD COVER IS NOT AS EXTENSIVE AS IT HAS BEEN OVER THE LAST 24 
HOURS AND SOUNDING MOISTURE VALUES HAVE SHOWED A CONTINUED DRYING 
TREND SINCE THEN. LEEWARD SIDES OF THE ISLANDS ARE MOSTLY CLEAR WITH 
THE EXCEPTION OF THE KONA COAST ON THE BIG ISLAND WHERE BROKEN 
AFTERNOON SEABREEZE CLOUDS STILL REMAIN. LEEWARD WATERS ARE ALSO 
MOSTLY CLEAR THIS EVENING WITH THE EXCEPTION OF SOME PLUME CLOUDS 
WEST OF THE BIG ISLAND...LANAI AND MOLOKAI. 

ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS ARE PRESENT FAR SOUTH OF THE STATE IN THE 
ITCZ...MOSTLY BETWEEN LATITUDES 06N AND 09N. SOME OF THE STORM CELLS 
EAST OF 151W ARE BEING ENHANCED BY THE UPPER LEVEL DYNAMICS OF THE 
MENTIONED UPPER LOW AT 21N147W AND BRINGING THUNDERSTORMS NORTH TO 
AROUND 12N.

$$

FOSTER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.