Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 06:30:55 -0600

711 
ATHW40 PHFO 261230
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC FRI NOV 26 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC NOVEMBER 26 2010

WATER VAPOR LOOP AND SATELLITE DERIVED WINDS INDICATE AN UPPER LEVEL 
LOW CENTERED AT 19N149W TRAVELING SOUTH-SOUTHWEST AT 20 MPH. LAYERED 
CLOUDS WITH EMBEDDED TOWERING CUMULUS AND CUMULONIMBUS /CB/ CLOUDS 
COVER THE SOUTHEASTERN FLANK OF THE LOW TO AROUND 700 MILES AWAY 
FROM THE CENTER. LIGHTNING DETECTION INSTRUMENTS HAVE PICKED UP 
POSITIVE STRIKES WITH THE EMBEDDED STORM CELLS AND CB TOPS EXTEND TO 
49 KFT IN HEIGHT. THE LOW IS ALSO HAS A WEAK TROUGH REFLECTION AT 
THE SURFACE WITH AN AXIS FROM 10N150W TO 20N146W AND IS ENHANCING 
THE ITCZ SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS EAST OF 152W. THE REST OF THE 
ITCZ IN THE CENTRAL PACIFIC BASIN WEST OF 152W IS QUIET THIS MORNING.

ANOTHER UPPER LOW IN THE NORTH CENTRAL PACIFIC IS CENTERED AT 
40N172W AND TRAVELING NORTH AT 25 MPH. THE SURFACE LOW REFLECTED AT 
IS NEARLY STACKED BELOW THE UPPER LOW. THE ASSOCIATED WEAKENING COLD 
FRONT IS OBSERVED FROM 37N166W TO 28N170W TO 24N178W AND CAN BE 
PARTIALLY OBSERVED ON INFRARED SATELLITE AS A 100 MILE WIDE BAND OF 
OVERCAST STATUS CLOUDS. THE FRONT IS MORE ACTIVE NORTH OF 30N 
CONSISTING OF LAYERED CLOUDS WITH EMBEDDED CB CLOUDS. THE SOUTHERN 
EDGE OF THE FRONT HAS BECOME MORE OBSCURED WITH CIRRUS CLOUDS 
PASSING OVERHEAD. THE CIRRUS CLOUDS ARE RESULTING FROM AN UPPER 
TROUGH WEST OF THE DATELINE AND A WEAK SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST JET 
STREAM BLOWING TOPS OFF OF THE THUNDERSTORMS. THE HIGH CLOUDS COVER 
AN AREA FROM 17N TO 30N AND WEST OF 164W.

A SURFACE HIGH CENTERED AT 33N148W WITH A RIDGE EXTENDING TO THE 
SOUTHWEST TO 29N162W TO 22N173W AND IS PRODUCING THE FRESH TO STRONG 
TRADE WINDS OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS EARLY THIS MORNING. 
WINDWARD COASTAL WATERS ARE DOMINATED WITH BROKEN CUMULUS CLOUDS AND 
SCATTERED SHOWERS. LOW CLOUDS UPSTREAM OF THE ISLANDS ARE MOVING 
FROM THE EAST AROUND 25 MPH. THESE CLOUDS AND SHOWERS ARE PUSHING 
ONTO WINDWARD AND MOUNTAIN PORTIONS OF THE ISLANDS...WITH A FEW 
CARRYING OVER THE LEEWARD SIDES OF THE SMALLER ISLANDS. LEEWARD 
WATERS ARE MOSTLY CLEAR THIS EVENING WITH THE EXCEPTION OF SOME 
PLUME CLOUDS 80 MILES TO THE WEST OF THE BIG ISLAND.

$$

FOSTER

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.