Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 23:30:24 -0600

741 
ATHW40 PHFO 270530
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC SAT NOV 27 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC NOVEMBER 27 2010

FEW TO SCATTERED LOW CLOUDS WERE OBSERVED OVER AND NEAR THE ISLANDS 
AT THIS WRITING. THE ONE EXCEPTION WAS AN AREA OF BROKEN TO OVERCAST 
CLOUDS OVER THE KONA COAST AND LOWER SLOPES SOUTH OF MOUNT HUALALAI. 
HIGH CLOUDS OBSCURED THE LOW CLOUDS OVER KAUAI...BUT SMALL BREAKS IN 
THE CIRRUS HINT THAT THERE ARE SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS THERE. 
THE LIHUE OBSERVATION CONFIRMS THIS. THE HIGH CLOUDS WERE GATHERED 
INTO LARGE AREAS FROM A NORTH TO SOUTH LINE ACROSS OAHU TO WELL PAST 
THE INTERNATIONAL DATELINE AT 180W. LOW CLOUD TOPS BASED ON CLOUD 
TOP TEMPERATURES WERE NEAR 8 THOUSAND FEET. HIGH CLOUD TOPS WERE UP 
TO 38 THOUSAND FEET.

FURTHER AFIELD...AN AREA OF BROKEN SHOWER-BEARING CLOUDS EXTENDED 
SOME 200 MILES NORTHEAST OF A LINE FROM 30 MILES NORTHEAST OF MAUI 
TO 150 MILES NORTHEAST OF KAUAI. THE CLOUDS WERE MOVING TO THE WEST 
SOUTHWEST AT 25 MPH...AND SHOULD REACH MAUI FIRST THEN SPREAD UP THE 
ISLAND CHAIN TO KAUAI. THE ONLY OTHER CLOUD FEATURE OF NOTE WAS THE 
BIG ISLAND PLUME CONSISTING OF BROKEN CLOUDS EXTENDING FAR TO THE 
WEST OF THE KONA COAST. THESE CLOUDS WERE SOUTH OF 20N.

LOOKING AT THE WATER VAPOR CHANNEL...A NEARLY STATIONARY UPPER LEVEL 
LOW WAS CENTERED ABOUT 500 MILES EAST OF THE BIG ISLAND AT 19N147W. 
THUNDERSTORMS WERE LOCATED WITHIN 100 MILES OF THE LOWS NORTHERN 
SEMICIRCLE...AND EAST THROUGH SOUTH OF THE LOW WITHIN 120 MILES OF 
LINE FROM 09N145W TO 18N139W. THUNDERSTORMS TOPS REACHED 50 THOUSAND 
FEET.

$$

CRAIG

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.