Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 23:36:48 -0600

674 
ATHW40 PHFO 280536
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC SUN NOV 28 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC NOVEMBER 28 2010

BROKEN TO OVERCAST HIGH...CIRRUS...CLOUDS COVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS AND BLOCK THE VIEW OF LOWER LEVEL FEATURES ON NIGHTTIME 
INFRARED SATELLITE IMAGERY. BEFORE THE HIGH CLOUDS MOVED OVER THE 
AREA VISIBLE IMAGERY SHOWED RATHER SPARSE LOW CLOUDS OVER THE 
ISLANDS. THERE WERE PATCHY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS OVER THE WINDWARD 
SLOPES OF THE ISLANDS. LOW CLOUDS WERE ISOLATED TO SCATTERED OVER 
NIIHAU AND LANAI AND OVER LEEWARD AREAS OF THE SMALLER ISLANDS. 
THERE WERE BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS OVER LEEWARD SLOPES OF THE 
BIG ISLAND FROM MILOLII TO 15 MILES NORTHEAST OF KAILUA-KONA. 
SURFACE OBSERVATIONS THROUGH 700 PM SHOWED LITTLE CHANGE IN LOW 
CLOUD COVER SINCE BEFORE SUNSET.

SATELLITE LOOPS CONTINUE TO SHOW SHOWERY SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW 
CLOUDS MOVING TOWARD THE ISLANDS FROM SLIGHTLY NORTH OF EAST AT 25 
MPH. RADARS SHOW MODERATE SHOWERS IN THESE CLOUDS. A FEW OF THE 
SHOWERS HAVE BEEN MOVING OVER WINDWARD AREAS OF THE ISLANDS BUT MANY 
OF THEM HAVE BEEN SLIDING PAST THE ISLANDS OR DISSIPATING JUST 
OFFSHORE.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A HIGH AMPLITUDE PATTERN OVER THE CENTRAL 
NORTH PACIFIC WITH ACTIVE WEATHER EAST AND WEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS. ONE LOW ALOFT IS CENTERED 475 MILES EAST NORTHEAST OF HILO 
AT 21N148W. BROKEN TO OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS AND SCATTERED 
CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS WITH TOPS TO 35000 FT COVER THE AREA FROM 19N TO 
24N BETWEEN 143W AND 149W. OVER THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS THE LOW HAS 
MOVED NORTH AT 10 MPH.

A SECOND LOW ALOFT IS CENTERED 1100 MILES WEST OF KAUAI AT 24N177W. 
OVER THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS THE LOW HAS MOVED SLOWLY TOWARD 
THE SOUTHEAST. A 450 MILE WIDE BAND OF OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS AND 
ISOLATED EMBEDDED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS IS WEST OF A LINE FROM 30N168W 
TO 19N171W. 

THERE IS A RIDGE ALOFT BETWEEN THE LOW WEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS AND THE ONE TO THE EAST. BROKEN TO OVERCAST CIRRUS CLOUDS 
ARE STREAMING EAST AND SOUTHEAST OVER THE RIDGE FROM THE CLOUD BAND 
WEST OF THE MAIN ISLANDS. THE CIRRUS IS IN A 450 MILE WIDE BAND 
SOUTHWEST OF A LINE FROM 250 MILES SOUTHEAST OF HILO TO 100 MILES 
NORTHEAST OF LIHUE TO 30N160W. 

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.