Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 23:43:18 -0600

555 
ATHW40 PHFO 290542
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC MON NOV 29 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC NOVEMBER 29 2010

THIN...BROKEN TO OVERCAST HIGH...CIRRUS...CLOUDS COVER THE MAIN 
HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. THE CIRRUS OVER THE ISLAND IS QUITE THIN..BUT IS 
STILL ENOUGH TO PARTLY OBSCURE THE VIEW OF LOWER LEVEL FEATURES ON 
NIGHTTIME INFRARED SATELLITE IMAGERY. BEFORE SUNSET...VISIBLE 
IMAGERY SHOWED BROKEN TO OVERCAST LOW CLOUDS OVER LANAI AND OVER 
WINDWARD AREAS OF THE REST OF THE SMALLER ISLANDS. LOW CLOUDS WERE 
SCATTERED OVER LOWER LEE AREAS OF KAUAI...OAHU...MOLOKAI AND MAUI. 
ON THE BIG ISLAND BEFORE SUNSET...CLOUDS COVERED MOST OF THE 
ISLAND...EXCEPT THE VERY SUMMITS OF MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA... AND 
ALONG THE COAST FROM UPOLU POINT TO HILO TO APUA POINT AND FROM 
KAILUA-KONA TO UPOLU POINT. RADARS SHOW SCATTERED MODERATE SHOWERS 
OVER THE WINDWARD SLOPES OF KAUAI...OAHU...MOLOKAI AND AND MAUI... 
BUT ONLY ISOLATED LIGHT SHOWERS OVER THE BIG ISLAND.

SATELLITE LOOPS SHOW SHOWERY SCATTERED TO BROKEN LOW CLOUDS MOVING 
FROM SLIGHTLY NORTH OF EAST AT 20 MPH. RADARS SHOW MODERATE SHOWERS 
IN THESE CLOUDS. THERE ARE ONLY ISOLATED LOW CLOUDS IMMEDIATELY 
UPSTREAM OF THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII. A CLOUD VORTEX OR SPIRAL IS 
CENTERED 225 MILES NORTHEAST OF HILO AT 22.5N 153W. THIS FEATURE HAS 
BEEN MOVING SLIGHTLY NORTH OF WEST AT 9 MPH. THERE ARE SHOWERY 
BROKEN LOW CLOUDS WITHIN 75 MILES IN THE EAST SEMICIRCLE OF THE 
VORTEX AND SCATTERED TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS WITH TOPS TO 25000FT IN 
THE WEST SEMICIRCLE.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A PERSISTENT HIGH AMPLITUDE PATTERN OVER 
THE CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC WITH ACTIVE WEATHER EAST AND WEST OF THE 
MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. ONE LOW ALOFT IS CENTERED 465 MILES NORTHEAST 
OF HILO AT 23N149.5W. THERE ARE BROKEN MIDDLE AND HIGH CLOUDS AND 
ISOLATED TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS FROM 23N TO 27N BETWEEN 140W AND 
150W AND OVERCAST LAYERED CLOUDS AND SCATTERED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS 
WITH TOPS TO 50000 FT FROM 15N TO 23N BETWEEN 141W AND 148W. OVER 
THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS THE LOW HAS MOVED NORTH AT 10 MPH. THE CLOUDS 
NORTH OF 23N HAVE THINNED AND BECOME LESS ACTIVE AND THE CLOUDS FROM 
15N TO 23N HAVE THICKENED AND THE CONVECTION HAS BECOME MORE ACTIVE 
OVER THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS.

A SECOND LOW ALOFT IS CENTERED 1040 MILES WEST OF KAUAI AT 
21N176W...AN UNLIKE THE LOW EAST OF THE ISLANDS...THE WESTERN LOW 
EXTENDS DOWN TO THE SURFACE. OVER THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS THE LOW HAS 
MOVED SLOWLY TOWARD THE SOUTHEAST. THERE ARE BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS 
FROM 18N TO 30N BETWEEN 165W AND 177W. A 135 MILE WIDE BAND OF 
SCATTERED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS WITH TOPS TO 45000 FT CURVES FROM 
19N170W TO 22N170W TO 25N175W. 

THERE IS A RIDGE ALOFT BETWEEN THE LOW WEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS AND THE ONE TO THE EAST. A JET STREAM CURVES OVER THE TOP OF 
THE RIDGE FROM 12N180W TO 15N170W TO KAUAI TO  THE BIG ISLAND TO 
15N145W. BROKEN TO OVERCAST HIGH CLOUDS SOUTH ASSOCIATED WITH THE 
JET COVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.