Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 06:59:13 -0600

600 
ATHW40 PHFO 291258
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
1230 UTC MON NOV 29 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 1200 UTC NOVEMBER 29 2010

THIN...BROKEN TO OVERCAST HIGH CLOUDINESS...CIRRUS...REMAINS OVER 
THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS PARTLY OBSCURING LOWER LEVEL FEATURES ON 
NIGHTTIME INFRARED SATELLITE IMAGERY. AS FAR AS I CAN TELL FROM THE 
SATELLITE IMAGERY...RADAR IMAGERY AND SURFACE OBSERVATIONS...LOW 
CLOUDS ARE ISOLATED OVER MOST AREAS OF THE ISLANDS.

SATELLITE LOOPS SHOW ONLY ISOLATED LOW CLOUDS IMMEDIATELY UPSTREAM 
OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. LOW CLOUD MOTIONS EAST OF THE BIG 
ISLAND ARE FROM THE EAST SOUTHEAST AT 10 TO 15 MPH BACKING TO EAST 
AT 20 MPH NEAR KAUAI. A CLOUD VORTEX OR SPIRAL IS CENTERED 210 MILES 
NORTHEAST OF KAHULUI AT 23N 154W. THIS FEATURE HAS BEEN MOVING 
SLIGHTLY NORTH OF WEST AT 13 MPH. THE VORTEX HAS WEAKENED QUITE A 
BIT SINCE LAST EVENING. THE VORTEX IS NOW POORLY ORGANIZED AND 
CONTAINS ONLY BROKEN LOW CLOUDS.

WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWS A PERSISTENT HIGH AMPLITUDE PATTERN OVER 
THE CENTRAL NORTH PACIFIC WITH ACTIVE WEATHER EAST AND WEST OF THE 
MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS. ONE LOW IS CENTERED 1000 MILES WEST OF 
KAUAI AT 21N175W. OVER THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS THE LOW HAS MOVED 
TOWARD THE EAST AT 10 MPH. THERE ARE BROKEN LAYERED CLOUDS FROM 18N 
TO 30N BETWEEN 165W AND 177W. A 200 MILE WIDE BAND OF SCATTERED 
CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS WITH TOPS TO 48000 FT IS CENTERED FROM 20N169W 
TO 26N171W. 

A SECOND LOW ALOFT IS CENTERED 520 MILES NORTHEAST OF HILO AT 
24N148W. THERE ARE SCATTERED TOWERING CUMULUS CLOUDS...TCU...AND 
ISOLATED CUMULONIMBUS CLOUDS...CB...FROM 22N TO 27N BETWEEN 146W AND 
150W AND ALSO WITHIN 90 MILES OF A LINE FROM 19N144W TO 16N145W TO 
17N151W. THE LAYERED CLOUDS SOUTH OF 20N HAVE THINNED AND THE 
CONVECTION IN THAT AREA HAS WEAKENED OVER THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS.

THERE IS A RIDGE ALOFT BETWEEN THE LOW WEST OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN 
ISLANDS AND THE ONE TO THE EAST. A JET STREAM CURVES OVER THE TOP OF 
THE RIDGE FROM 12N180W TO KAUAI TO 10N140W. BROKEN TO OVERCAST HIGH 
CLOUDS SOUTH ASSOCIATED WITH THE JET COVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.

$$
DONALDSON

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.