Subject: Central Pacific: Satellite Interpretation Message

From: LDM Weather <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 23:29:19 -0600

898 
ATHW40 PHFO 300528
SIMHI 

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS SATELLITE INTERPRETATION MESSAGE
NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI
0530 UTC TUE NOV 30 2010

BASED ON DATA THROUGH 0500 UTC NOVEMBER 30 2010

WATER VAPOR IMAGES SHOWED A BROAD CENTER OF LOW PRESSURE IN THE 
UPPER ATMOSPHERE NEAR 22N 175W...OR ABOUT 1000 MILES EAST OF KAUAI. 
DEEP CLOUD LAYERS SWIRLED COUNTER-CLOCKWISE AROUND THE LOW CENTER... 
OBSCURING LOWER FEATURES NORTH OF THE CURVE FROM 26N 180 TO 23N 175W 
TO 21N 180 TO 20N 168W TO 23N 162W TO 28N 166W TO 30N 166W. 
SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS ALSO DEVELOPED SOUTHEAST OF THE LOW WITHIN 
120 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 26N 174W TO 23N 171W TO 19N 171W. THIS 
FEATURE AS A WHOLE REMAINED NEARLY STATIONARY.

WATER VAPOR IMAGES ALSO SHOWED A WEAK AND DIFFUSE TROUGH OF LOW 
PRESSURE IN THE UPPER ATMOSPHERE NEAR 24N 147W. ISOLATED TOWERING 
CUMULI AND POSSIBLE THUNDERSTORMS FORMED UNDER THIS FEATURE WITHIN 
60 MILES OF THE CURVE FROM 27N 149W TO 20N 150W. DEEP LAYERED DEBRIS 
CLOUDS FROM EARLIER CONVECTION PARTLY TO MOSTLY OBSCURED LOWER 
FEATURES TO THE EAST BETWEEN 150W AND 140W.

TO THE SOUTH...LIGHT TO MODERATE THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUED IN 
THE ITCZ BETWEEN 14N AND 07N...MOSTLY WEST OF 150W. DEEP LAYERED 
DEBRIS CLOUDS FROM THIS AND EARLIER CONVECTION PARTLY TO MOSTLY 
OBSCURED LOWER FEATURES WITHIN THE SAME RANGE OF LATITUDE. 
HOWEVER...BETWEEN 174W AND 150W...MORE EXTENSIVE DEEP LAYERED DEBRIS 
CLOUDS FLOWED NORTH UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF THE LOW ALOFT AS 
DESCRIBED IN THE FIRST PARAGRAPH ABOVE...MOSTLY TO COMPLETELY 
OBSCURING LOWER FEATURES AS FAR NORTH AS 20N.

OTHERWISE...CLOUD COVER ACROSS HAWAIIAN WATERS CONSISTED MOSTLY OF 
STRATOCUMULUS AND CUMULUS FRAGMENTS UP TO ABOUT 150 MILES ACROSS. 
THESE CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 6000 TO 9000 FEET...AND 
MOVED TOWARD THE WEST SOUTHWEST AT 15 TO 20 MILES AN HOUR...THOUGH 
WEST OF 170W THEY MOVED TOWARD THE NORTHEAST TO NORTH.

ACROSS THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS...LAYERED HIGH CLOUDS FROM THE 
SOUTH OBSCURED THE BIG ISLAND MOSTLY...AND THE OTHER ISLANDS PARTLY. 
LOWER CLOUD COVER CONSISTED MAINLY OF AFTERNOON CUMULUS BUILDUPS 
OVER HIGHER TERRAIN INLAND...THOUGH A FEW MARINE CUMULI ALSO MOVED 
ASHORE ALONG SLOPES FACING EAST. AREAS WITH THE GREATEST LOW CLOUD 
COVER INCLUDED NORTH CENTRAL KAUAI...BOTH MOUNTAIN RANGES ON OAHU... 
WEST MOLOKAI...MOST OF LANAI...AND WEST SLOPES OF HALEAKALA ON MAUI. 
THESE CLOUDS GENERALLY ROSE TO HEIGHTS OF 5000 TO 7000 FEET. RADAR 
DATA FROM NEAR THE ISLANDS SHOWED SCATTERED SHOWERS OVER THE KOOLAU 
RANGE ON OAHU AND ALONG THE NORTHWEST COAST OF THE BIG ISLAND...BUT 
ISOLATED SHOWERS AT MOST ELSEWHERE. 

$$

RYSHKO

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
To unsubscribe from WX-TROPL send e-mail to [email-masked] with
"unsub wx-tropl" in the body of your message. For help with WX-TROPL
write to [email-masked]. For more information on tropical weather products, see the NHC Homepage at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.